VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m looking into buying front/rear sway bars for my ‘04 Jetta wagon but I’m not sure how to figure out the proper length I’ll need. I’m roughly 2” lower than stock ride height on 18” Aristos, now I am hearing the axel and factory bar rub especially when turning towards the left. I read that an aftermarket front bar will clear the axel, then I noticed a lot of kits come with a longer rear than front which I went back to reading and found is to reduce understeer..

So my question is.. what would be the proper length for both front and rear? Is there any extra parts I’ll need to purchase along with the sway bars? The Neuspeed kits I’m looking at have bushings, hardware and end links.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
What I am reading here...

You are asking about the proper length of the rear and front sway bars.
You mention that there are kits with longer rear vs. front sway bar; you also mention understeer.

Uneducated thought... why would the length of the bar ever change? Depending on the kit you purchase for the rear, it is mounted on the beam and terminate at the bottom of the strut. In the front, it is mounted to the subframe and terminates at the endlinks that connect to your control arm. I do not see an opportunity to change the length. Especially in the rear as everything is mounted to the rear beam that would not be impacted no matter how you change the height of the car.

Are you actually asking about the length of the endlinks that connect to the front control arms? I did some like internet reading this morning and there are options for stock vs. lowered cars.

Perhaps you are asking about diameter of the anti-sway bars... bigger diameter means more control of body roll. Naturally, there is a balance of front vs. rear. Back in the MK1 days, I ran no front anti-sway and used a 22mm rear... this reduced understeer and actually introduced some off throttle oversteer (to help rotate the car).

I can't help you with what diameter anti-sway bar to run front vs. rear.

Just starting this conversation to ensure I understand what you're asking. Perhaps I am about to learn more about anti-sway bar length options on the MK4 platform.

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I am reading here...

You are asking about the proper length of the rear and front sway bars.
You mention that there are kits with longer rear vs. front sway bar; you also mention understeer.

Uneducated thought... why would the length of the bar ever change? Depending on the kit you purchase for the rear, it is mounted on the beam and terminate at the bottom of the strut. In the front, it is mounted to the subframe and terminates at the endlinks that connect to your control arm. I do not see an opportunity to change the length. Especially in the rear as everything is mounted to the rear beam that would not be impacted no matter how you change the height of the car.

Are you actually asking about the length of the endlinks that connect to the front control arms? I did some like internet reading this morning and there are options for stock vs. lowered cars.

Perhaps you are asking about diameter of the anti-sway bars... bigger diameter means more control of body roll. Naturally, there is a balance of front vs. rear. Back in the MK1 days, I ran no front anti-sway and used a 22mm rear... this reduced understeer and actually introduced some off throttle oversteer (to help rotate the car).

I can't help you with what diameter anti-sway bar to run front vs. rear.

Just starting this conversation to ensure I understand what you're asking. Perhaps I am about to learn more about anti-sway bar length options on the MK4 platform.

Steve
Apologies for my ignorance I have no idea about sway bars lol But yeah common sense would say the length of the bar itself can’t be changed🤦🏻‍♂️
So now that my dumbass figured out it’s the diameter.. From what I’ve read is most people are only running an upgraded rear largely being the 28mm. While others are saying to go 25mm up front and 28mm in the rear, which is what I’m leaning more towards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts