VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Stancing an M car or any BMW is stupid. This is one make that comes from the factory about as good as it's going to get. Unless you like having your spine destroyed or are purely more about how it looks.

I've yet to drive a bmw with a modified spring and shock setup(including coil-overs) that handled better than stock. Oh sure it may corner flatter and look better parked, but at the expense of ride quality(which is already roadster ish on anything up to E36/E32/E34).

For the love of god leave M cars stock!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Do the people that do this all secretly own stock in Tire Rack?

2 degrees negative camber on my car = bald tires in 4k miles...

Is that not dumb?!
Adjust your toe-in. Chamber in of itself shouldn't chew tires up, unless your car requires a lot of toe in to keep understeer or oversteer in check. If that's the case, maybe a tortoise in the trunk to improve weight distribution would help. :D

·
Registered
C55 AMG
7,352 Posts
2 degrees negative camber on my car = bald tires in 4k miles...
Drive faster through the corners then because I'm at -2.75 up front and got over 20K out of T1-R's (sticky when the pressures are higher than you'd think was normal).

Other than that, this car was built for nutswingers and knowing it has an awesome swap makes the "stance" even more lame.

·
Banned
16,664 Posts
I agree on Go > Show, but again, I don't even see the "show" appeal here...:sly:

So basically, this car has nothing to me.

:yawn: :eek:

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
I think the E30 crowd has stolen the car-dragging on the ground, stretched-tire, stupid camber flag from the MKIV crowd. I see these things all over ATL scraping the ground with their wheels at some retarded angle and a 185 tire on a 10" BBS rim.

·
Banned
16,664 Posts
...stupid camber flag from the MKIV crowd.
Check your facts, mk4s require shims to camber the rear, and even with them it doesn't camber very far. Thus, there are, and have always been very few mk4s running any stupid camber.

That portion of the trend can be blamed on teh JDM y0! crowd ;)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Rear wheels are a little too wide for my taste
And he schould not have done the work on the rear fender.
But the stance looks good, not much different from this one.
And apparently the performance on this car isn't too bad.

In before car is going around a corner nazi's and road vs race

The carbon hood and mirrors aren't my taste either

·
Registered
'22 Maverick. '03 9-3, '67 Fairlady
20,352 Posts
The "other crowd" are prolly running out of cars & scenes to leg hump (stance & put on internetz). Seems they try to do anything that will cause a buzz and ruffle feathers. Stance a E30 M3, miata, civic si, rusty trailer, school bus, dump truck, etc. Fashion over function, vomit (9 times out of 10).
It would be nice if that crowd just stuck to Corollas and other cars no one cared about. :p

·
Banned
29,810 Posts
i like older cars with smaller wheel openings to have smaller diameter wheels with some meaty aggressive rubber. like older porsches, the starion and stratos are good examples of the wheel/tire combo i like.

I really like the wheels on the M3 it looks very nice overall :thumbup:

·
Registered
38,608 Posts
the real question is:

how much WORSE than stock handling is this car? this is one of those instances where changing back to factory stock would greatly improve the vehicle's dynamics.

obin :sly:

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
It can't be "wrong" unless they actually broke something.

Firstly, I despise the use of "stance" as a verb.

Moving on, unless you're pulling/ruining the fenders (a roll is fine, if done well IMO), there's little that happens when you slam a car that isn't reversible. So long as no permanent damage is done, what's the harm?

Obviously, if someone's advertising that it drives better at that height, they're full of crap, but I don't think that was the case here. It looks cool.

The fact that it ruins the handling temporarily is completely irrelevant. You don't have to drive it, so what the hell do you care? It isn't harming anything.

21 - 40 of 366 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.