VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,265 Posts
Re: swiss cheese airbox (vento8valve)

Before i had installed the intake, i did this mod.
To do it, Take out the airbok and remove the filter, ATC Flap (the flap inside the box, you'll see it.), and the snorkle looking think in the top part.
From there look at the bottem half of the box on the fender side. Drill about 10 3/4'' holes in that side (the side that touches the inside of the fender). Re-install the airbox and drive around a bit. Knotice the sound, if you would like it louder, repeat the process drilling more holes in the same side.
Hope that helps, lemme know if anything is unclear.

·
Banned
10,500 Posts
Re: swiss cheese airbox (Mk3GolfGL)

there is discussion as to whether you should remove the ATC flap or not. I say dont, but some do.
Air_Cooled_Nut did some research on the function of the flap. He will probably reply here shortly.
But thats the basics. Drill a bunch of holes on the LOWER side of the box, fender side only.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: swiss cheese airbox (Mk3GolfGL)

im just gonna run tubing from my ducts (where the fogs where) to the airbox
thanks anyhow

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Yeah, dont cheese the box. I did it and regret it. I wish I had walked your path.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
Re: swiss cheese airbox (RJetta8V)

Hmm. Why drill? I cut the whole damn side off (fender side) and part of the front. Of course, I had a cutoff wheel (dremel works, too), so that made it much easier.

[Modified by jerk, 1:28 PM 12-2-2001]

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: swiss cheese airbox (RJetta8V)

what i did was drill a 3 in hole in the box to the left of where the intake from the fender coems in. i then took a piece of 3 in aluminum dryer ducting and routed it towards the lower hole in the bumper with the mesh on it. in order to free up the space to route the dryer venting to you have to move something to the other side of the car. i wouldnt recomend just drilling arbitrary holes in the box because it will only suck in hot air from the engine compartment. if actually add another intake hole with proper ducting its much more like a closed system. IM me if u have any questions i would be glad to help u. i based my modification after this one http://www.venommotorsports.com/howto/ModfiedAirBox.htm but i only drilled an extra 3 in hole. this site tells u how to move the carbon filter to the other side of the car. hope i helped

·
Registered
609 Posts
Re: swiss cheese airbox (Wade2Fast)

Just cut the whole side off on the fender side (below the filter, obviously). Do you have a K&N yet? I can sell you one with like 1000 miles on it for like 15 bucks.

·
Banned
6,135 Posts
Re: swiss cheese airbox (NorthDakota2.0)

hmmm...if you ae just going for sound have at it. If you want any performance gains from it don't drill random holes in it. Drop a K&N drop in filter for 20 bucks and pull the plunger out.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Re: swiss cheese airbox (late_apex)

k, first i drilled a combined 27 holes! I drilled on the fender side and the front lower part of the box. Disconnect both the front elbow going into the fender and the hose going into ur engine manifold! then i used my K&N filter! Also remove the flapper all it is, is a restrictor u don't need it! Then i blocked up the hole in the front of the box and engine manifold w/some small screening like the one from a strainer. Also, the hole in the back of the airbox i blocked it w/a pvc pipe cover my father made! That's it, and it's better than a cone filter IMHO! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
417 Posts

Geez... u ask for my old box (i'm assuming that's so if u F$%& up you'll still have one
) but you don't even ask if i know how

i think i've got some pix around of a couple from one of the last couple times this topic came up. but basically what everyone else said.
sa i said - u want it come get it. maybe if u ask nicely, i'll birng it down

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Re: swiss cheese airbox (mrglx)

quote:[HR][/HR]Geez... u ask for my old box (i'm assuming that's so if u F$%& up you'll still have one
[HR][/HR]​
What's that supposed to mean?????????

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Re: swiss cheese airbox (Jetta97GT)

quote:[HR][/HR]Geez... u ask for my old box (i'm assuming that's so if u F$%& up you'll still have one

What's that supposed to mean?????????
[HR][/HR]​
PBS! (Proof-read Before Sending)

My .02cents: http://www.icbm.org/erkson/personal/mycars/atc.htm

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
Re: swiss cheese airbox (Air_Cooled_Nut)

I did and figured out he wasn't talking to me! LOL!

[Modified by Jetta97GT, 11:09 AM 12-3-2001]

·
Registered
6,429 Posts

Sorry Jetta, wasn't directed @ you

·
Registered
417 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I did and figured out he wasn't talking to me! LOL!

[Modified by Jetta97GT, 11:09 AM 12-3-2001][HR][/HR]​
Jetta97GT - sorry - i was infact talking to vento8valve - the topic starter - i guess i wasn't too clear on that one.
here's a
on me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts