VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i tried searching this but nothing answered my question...i just drill holes in the piece that is UNDER the air filter, correct?? and also i saw a picture with someone takin dryer hose and lettin it hang out of the front bumper at one of those inlets...i also plan to drop a k&n filter in...so how many holes and just on the sides or all over and what size holes??
Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: swiss cheese airbox (jettin123)

would'nt be better to just spend 50 off of ebay and get one of the cone filters with the breather cap and all, and if anyone knows how i can make a heatshield some directions would be cool

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

Everyone knows that cone filters are the best for air flow, but they suck hot air, and the only way around it is with a heat shield. But, luckily we dubbers have a solution that works better. I've seen specs where guys tried both the cone filter/heat shield option, and the cone filter. Guess what... the swiss cheese airbox with a cheap hose to the bumper inlet gives a GREATER power gain! Go figure, sometimes ghetto is just better

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: swiss cheese airbox (neildorin)

personally, I don't think any intake is gonna make a great deal of difference unless it's cold air. I drilled just the fender side at first, took out my jetta and didn't really notice a difference. This led to me drilling the front and left sides of the box too, then I noticed a slight increase in throttle response but a much louder growl when I stomped it. Cones are suckin' 360 degrees so it's still gonna suck in air from above any heat shield that doesn't meet flush with the hood. Oh well, that's my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Re: swiss cheese airbox (SoCalJetta96)

that is true. would it it be possibly to put a strip of DENSE foam or sponge along the top of the heatshield so that it actually sticks up above the "hood line" when the hood is up? that way when the hood is squishing it down, at least you know it's flush. I know a sponge is porous, but this would probably help at least a little bit.
as for cones and no heat shield...sure it looks nice, but you're not getting exclusively cold air and you run the risk of sucking in water. kinda counterproductive isn't it?

·
Banned
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what hose to the inlet are you talkin about...im guessin one that is going down into the bumper???
and would it just be better to get a cone filter with a heat shield or the swiss cheese with a k&n??

·
Registered
2,375 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]what hose to the inlet are you talkin about...im guessin one that is going down into the bumper???
and would it just be better to get a cone filter with a heat shield or the swiss cheese with a k&n??[HR][/HR]​
heres what i did:

that goes right into my airbox, i cut the fender side of the box, disconnected the vacuum tubes,took out the flappy thing, pluged all air inlets except for the one that i cut. disconnected the hose from the heat shield. and the dryer hose is basically touching my filter. and even with my paper element filter i noticed my car wants to keep pulling throught the higher rpms.
not bad for a $7 "ghetto" mod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.