VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of my switchblade keys was stolen. In order to make the old keys non-functional with my car (locks & ignition) what do I need to do? Will they need to put a new lock cylinder in the door and the ignition? So frustrating if they do, i just had the driver's side lock cylinder replaced because someone messed with it and broke into my car a few months ago. GRRRRRR! I have a 2001 Jetta TDI.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Re: Switchblade Key Stolen (maffiem)

This is easy. Gather up your remaining keys and go the the dealer or somebody with a vag-com and have them matched to the car. The matching procedure will prevent any key not there at the time of matching from working. This will prevent the stolen key from starting the car but will not prevent it from opening the doors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Switchblade Key Stolen (tantalus)

Will the stolen key only be able to open the door if inserted into the lock and turned or will it also still be able to open the doors via the remote, even if the rest of the keys are reprogrmmed? I am not opposed to getting the driver's side lock (which is the only outside lock on my car) changed, but i won't even bother if they can still managed to open the car with the press of a button.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Switchblade Key Stolen (tantalus)

not sure if i am understanding correctly. so even if i get the door lock cylinder replaced they could still use the old key to break into my car via the remote?

·
Registered
953 Posts

No. When the keys or remote that you presently have are matched to the car the match for all others is erased. Any key or remotes from the last match will no longer work electronicaly.
But if you lost the metal key that will still work on the door handle locks and will appear to work with the igntion switch too. But unless it was matched to the car the engine will run for only a second and then stop.
So... if you replaced the door lock cylinder that the stolen key used to work on and get all the keys that you have and the remote matched all will be secure again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i called two VW vw dealers regarding this and i have received conflicting information from them. one told me that i MUST have both the door and ignition lock cylinders replaced. he said if i only have the door lock cylinder replaced my new keys will work on the door locks but not the ignition (thus having to use two separate sets of keys, one to open the doors and the other to start the car). is the only way to have a universal set of new keys that will function as a remote, manual door key and key for the ignition to get both the door lock and ignition lock cut to match and replaced and have a new set of keys cut to match the ignition and the door cylinder?

Modified by maffiem at 1:52 PM 9-24-2004

Modified by maffiem at 1:59 PM 9-24-2004

·
Registered
28,779 Posts

The keys do three things:
1. Physical lock opening (door, trunk, ignition).
2. Remote unlock / lock.
3. Be allowed by the Immobilizer to start the car.
To prevent the stolen key from doing each of these functions:
1. Change the lock cylinders and keys.
2. Reprogram the remotes so that only the ones you have can work on your car (see owner's manual).
3. Reprogram the Immobilizer to recognize only the keys that you have. (Requires VW-specific scan tool and secret key code.)
If you do #1, you'll have to do #2 and #3. You can do just #2 and #3 (or have a dealer do #3), but then the stolen key can still open your door and trunk; it will turn in the ignition lock but won't start the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Switchblade Key Stolen (tjl)

so it is not necessary for any reason to change the ignition cylinder? i can change the door lock cylinder and trunk, get new keys and do steps 2 & 3 without having to change the ignition?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

Quote, originally posted by maffiem »
so it is not necessary for any reason to change the ignition cylinder? i can change the door lock cylinder and trunk, get new keys and do steps 2 & 3 without having to change the ignition?

Yeah, just do #2 & 3 would be enough to ease your worry. Once you have both your immobilizer and remotes rematched, you should be fine. You can also choose to do #1 but that's gonna cost you big $$$. After doing #2 and #3 to all the keys that are in your procession, the stolen key would become pretty much useless except for MANUALLY opening the door/trunk. It can still switch the ignition keyhole but the engine would no longer starts since the car's would no longer able to "communicate" with the transponder chip inside the stolen key. So a crook with your stolen key would have to know which car it's for in order to get in your car, and I say that's a pretty slim chance
Unless you know the person who has your stolen key or you lost it around your house/work, I wouldn't recommend doing #1. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.