VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm going to take the Bosch 90amp alt. I've got laying around and put it in my new A1 GTI daily driver. I've got the harness, but I can't remember which terminal the extra wire goes on, the D or the W. Also, where do I hook this into the current harness? The car has a Motorola alt. on it now (smoked diodes).

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Re: Switching to 90amp alt. (millerwj)

the blue wire goes on the D terminal
the w terminal is a pulsed output used for diesel tachs

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Re: Switching to 90amp alt. (Big CADDY)

woohoo i just put in a reconditioned alternator.........told the guy to increase it from 35amp to 55amp.........costed me 185 AUS bucks though.........
oh i didnt realise but the 2 big red ones have their place in it all. i did it wrong and it didnt charge.....then swapped the two big ones around and it gave me reading of 13.84 or some'n like that........
which brings me to ask.......i was told that it should be 12.5 - 13.5 so if im ova is that bad????

runs good again........due to the fact that i changed spark leds to 1990 cabrio ones as well because i had shiiity ones on b4........makes a noticeable diffenrence.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Re: Switching to 90amp alt. (Man&Golf)

quote:[HR][/HR]i was told that it should be 12.5 - 13.5 so if im ova is that bad????[HR][/HR]​
No, as long as your voltage dosen't drop much below 13 when all your electrical accessories are on.

·
Registered
20,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Switching to 90amp alt. (nigel)

Mine puts out about 13.8 when it's running. Drops down to about 13.2 w/ 310 watts of lighting running (at idle).
And thanks guys, I figured it out. I was just having a senior moment and couldn't figure it out.
Gotta say, changing the alt. in a Rabbit w/ AC is one of the biggest PITA jobs going!! I'd like to find the guy that designed the AC bracket and make him change 10 of them!!!
Now, I have seen Rabbits w/ the AC on the bottom and th alt. on the top. Anybody know what years these were and where I can get one of those brackets??

·
Registered
20,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Switching to 90amp alt. (Big CADDY)

Any reason why that bracket wouldn't work in an A1?

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Re: Switching to 90amp alt. (millerwj)

quote:[HR][/HR]Now, I have seen Rabbits w/ the AC on the bottom and th alt. on the top. Anybody know what years...[HR][/HR]​
I believe that setup changed in 1985. Most Cabriolet's have the A/C on the bottom.
I would love to do that swap on my Jetta!
changing the alt on an A/C car http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.