VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Re: switching to abs? (Clownracer v2)

yeah you get the racecar feel with a Mk2 with G60 brakes. the only reason I might add abs to my gti is to do race logic traction controll. but as stated before to eaches own. dave

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: switching to abs? (88JETTEXTREME)

ok i know about ABS sucking and its beat and NOONE on vortex likes it but its safer look at the car in my sig ive been in some bad accidents after the corrado i had a Mack truck slide into the back of my friends truck doing forty anyway i like ABS im doing a full roll cage im a big fan of safety i was just wondering if its feasible
edit for spelling

[Modified by Clownracer v2, 1:31 PM 2-14-2002]

·
Registered
12,366 Posts

The swap would be very difficult I think.......might not be worth the time......
I am also in the minority here - I have been racing for over 10 years - autocross, track events, drag racing, street racing etc..and I can say that I like having ABS - I have it on my '90 GLI - and it works great - surprisingly so - I can beat the system and threshold brake better than almost anyone - but once in a while I will hit the brakes on a bumpy section of road and the ABS will kick in to keep the tire rolling instead of locking up......and in the snow (living in a place where people have NO IDEA how to drive in the snow - it actually has helped once or twice there too......i have very good street/race pads on my car and dot 4 brake fluid - and the setup works well - i believe that the brakes on my car are almost the best I HAVE HAD ON ANY CAR - and once in a while the ABS has kicked in and saved my butt - sure there are situations where it is not the best....but I don't want to have to think about my braking technique when I am not on the track.......in everyday commuting I think it has benefits.......
to go back to the topic - I think the older VW ABS systems, while funCtionally good - are a nightmare in design - not to mention the parts cost - my ABS pump - if I ever had to replace it would cost like $800 or more if I couldn't get one from a junkyard...that's pretty steep - and I've seen places wanting $1300 or more just for that as well - the Master Cylinder costing $300 + as well.......it's not worth the $$ and time In my opinion.......but good luck if you try it.........

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: switching to abs? (JettaManDan)

thank you jettaman i know what you mean i have been autocrosing and club racing for over 2 years i also can trail brake and left foot brake with the best
also im starting to get in to rallycross (my friend jerry let me drive his 16v GTi rally cara few times up in NY state)but i defantly want abs for the street i have all the components from my corrado i was just wondering if anyone has done this or has heard of anyone doing it

·
Registered
12,366 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]thank you jettaman i know what you mean i have been autocrosing and club racing for over 2 years i also can trail brake and left foot brake with the best
also im starting to get in to rallycross (my friend jerry let me drive his 16v GTi rally cara few times up in NY state)but i defantly want abs for the street i have all the components from my corrado i was just wondering if anyone has done this or has heard of anyone doing it[HR][/HR]​
I think it has been done - but not the easiest conversion.......hope someone can help you!!
P.S. I got so good a trail braking that I was kicking the tail of my old autocross jetta out on tight turns...people were like WTF? Is that car RWD? HAHAHA - it was great.......

·
Registered
3,426 Posts

I would get a bentley for the car that has the donor ABS system. You know the parts - abs knuckles, sensors, ABS computer, ABS Pump, which would mean modifying the brake lines...figure the rest out... not something to do on the daily driver over the weekend...good luck...if you make it work take pics

·
Banned
13,061 Posts

ABS system as used in the Corrado can be switched into the Golf.
The Corrado steering knuckles and rear axles will need to be swapped into the Golf though. The existing Golf parts don't have provision for accepting ABS speed sensors, nor does the Golf have the small ABS rotor (what the sensors read).
Next (first), the hardest part (about 40% of the work) will involve swapping the 8 1/2 pounds of ABS wiring harness into the Golf. (I say do this first to give your "determination" to install ABS a "reality check"
)
Next would come transferring the Master Cylinder and ABS cycling valves to your Golf.
If you really are that passionate about Volkswagen ABS systems, I suggest you find another Corrado G60 with fully functioning ABS to keep as a parts car (You think I'm kidding, check the price of all ABS parts at the dealer)

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: switching to abs? (PowerDubs)

thanks electron im gonna check it out next weekend i do have a parts corrado ling around wait till i post the pics of it being cut up for the panels on the corrado forum there gonna freak

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.