VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car's not starting, everything sounds good, but it's just not firing. It's cranking fine, just dones't seem as if there is any fuel. So i'm guessing it's the pump.
Is there any definitive way to determine it's the pump?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Re: Symptoms of Dead Fuel Pump (engine101)

if there is no sound when you turn the key to the ON posistion then the pump is not priming and likely it is dead. pull the plugs to see if there is any gas on them.
take care,
adam

·
Registered
12,107 Posts
Re: Symptoms of Dead Fuel Pump (avbcon12)

Fuel pump expensive....fuses and relays aren't! B4 you jump to conclusion that you need a $400 fuel pump...make sure its not something simple and cheap. Pull round cover in trunk and listen for pump noise while someone cranks car...no noise...pump may not be getting power! Pull connector off pump in trunk and use voltmeter or 12v light bulb checker to make sure you're getting power to the pump (as opposed to "Power to the People"). No power??? Could be fuse or fuel pump relay. Check fuel pump fuse....OK? Then replace fuel pump relay and see if you get power. If not then you gotta trace wires. Are you sure you're gettin spark??? My Golf crapped out on me last year...no spark...turned out to be ECU. Replaced under emissions warranty...yeah!
Once you got the pump makin noise...then you can check fuel output and pressure per Bentley instructions, I made a jury rig pressure guage out of a gauage and valve I bought for like $10 or so @ Home Depot. Not pro quality, but for the few times you'll ever use it good enuff to confirm pump's health! Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.