VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, question...

If i were to do a syncro drivetrain (in a mk3 gti vr) and run 16x7.5 front, and 16x9 rear rims, with 205/40/16 and 215/40/16 tires, will i run into handling problems with the different width wheels and what not? i already realize i will have troubles with the 16x9s and streched sidewalls, but will it be worse?
Hot vento for views, and spooge

Chris66

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Re: Syncro and wheel width?? 16x9 WHAT>? (chris66)

i think your talking about the 4 wheel drive system correct? syncro? if thats the case, i think that the wheel width will be the lest of your problems before that mega dollar job is done
regardless i dont think there will be much of an issue with handeling alot of people have that sort of setup. it looks super nasty to so you should do it just for that reason

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Re: Syncro and wheel width?? 16x9 WHAT>? (chris66)

it would change handling characteristics, and maybe make you more susceptible to rubbing....but side from that, I'd think you'd be ok.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i have heard somewhere that with quattro and such you have to have the same size wheels. synchro i believe is the same thing right.....and i could be totally wrong about that, just something i had heard

·
Registered
14,012 Posts
Re: (CID g60.vr6)

Syncro is uncharted territory. I have no idea Axle width, or midification you need to do o floor plan to get install in...this might move wheels backward or foreward and promote rubbing. After you do syncro, then measure for wheel width.
Patrick

·
Registered
20,009 Posts

Quote, originally posted by CID g60.vr6 »
i have heard somewhere that with quattro and such you have to have the same size wheels. synchro i believe is the same thing right.....and i could be totally wrong about that, just something i had heard

you're thinking of rolling diameter, not wheel width. Anyone who puts larger diameter tires on the rear of a VW needs to be slapped. Syncro or not.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

That makes sense, but i think you're thinkin of POSI diffs, in rear wheel drive vehicles, where you need 2 same height tires on the back if you get a flat. Because if you go around a corner the inside wheel spins slower and has to spin at a certain rate, if you have different size wheels, the rates will be screwy = blown diff. I'm sure it could be the same way with syncro, the wheels on ither sides will be the same height so no worries. Now does anyone know if the front and back wheel /tire combo must be the exact same profile???????????

Chris66

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
Re: (chris66)

You go Syncro, I'll go Haldex, let's meet back here in a year and compare notes. K?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

ONE MORE Q!!!
Sheesh, stupid me.
Is it possible to run coilovers that were made for a FWD GTI in a syncro setup? Are the mounting points the same?>

Chris66

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (punkassjim)

Quote, originally posted by punkassjim »
You go Syncro, I'll go Haldex, let's meet back here in a year and compare notes. K?

DEAL :shake:
Chris66

·
Registered
4,423 Posts

Syncro uses a viscous coupling system. It is FWD till wheel slip is detected, than clutch plates in the viscous diff engage and transfer power to the rear. The ABS sensors are used to detect slip (specific differences in wheel rotational speeds), so it's imperative that all 4 wheels have the same diameter.
The rear suspension for a syncro yields a rear track about an inch narrower than the normal twist beam set-up, so you actually get a little more clearance for wider wheels and tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts