Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Syncro to Haldex Conversion kit and 02M mount available

UPDATE Oct 08 Haldex GenII Conversion Kits Coming Soon for the MkII/III platform. This new kit will be based on the MkV rear axle setup, means no syncro parts are needed, this kit uses the parts from the latest MkV/TT setup, this kit can also be used without the 4Motion option to install an indendent rear suspension. Kit will be modular based so you an update in stages.
Stay tuned..

PLEASE NOTE: From March 1st 2008 Dutchdub will no longer sell Syncro to Haldex Conversion kits and/or 02M gearbox mounts. These parts will continue to be available through a new company called Dutch Build formerly Schimmel Engineering. Dutch Build is a new company focusing on special parts for the Volkswagen range. I would like to thank all who supported me over the last couple of years were some of my customer became really good friends...Marcel
http://WWW.DUTCHBUILD.COM
Syncro to Haldex Conversion kit available
A combined action of Schimmel Engineering & Dutchdub resulted in a syncro to Haldex conversion kit. The Haldex conversion kit also mounts to the original rear-axle crossbeam and syncro diff mounting points, this is the mounting point that bolts the rear of the syncro diff to the body. No need in shortening the propshaft.
For those interrested we had several sets cut and can supply this as DIY package, means you need to do the welding yourself, however the separate parts are tack welded for reference, no jig included.
A gearbox 02M mount is also avaliable to mount the 02M gearbox in the MkII/III platform, Please contact me for pricing.
Below are the pictures of YELLOWSLC's rear axle that has been converted this weekend.

More pictures on: http://www.dutchdub.com/Forsale.htm

New style 02M mount:

Modified by Dutch1967 at 1:37 PM 5-29-2005

Modified by Dutch1967 at 8:32 AM 9-22-2005

Modified by Dutch1967 at 2:25 PM 2-29-2008

Modified by Dutch1967 at 2:22 PM 10-24-2008

Modified by Dutch1967 at 2:24 PM 10-24-2008

·
Banned
15,206 Posts
Re: Syncro to Haldex Conversion kit available (Dutch1967)

nice stuff man, i like the work. and the price is reasonable.
i guess i will have to wait until my (allegedly) fragile syncro rear diff goes
so what about controlling the rear diff??

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Re: Syncro to Haldex Conversion kit available (brilliantyellowg60)

Quote, originally posted by brilliantyellowg60 »
nice stuff man, i like the work. and the price is reasonable.
i guess i will have to wait until my (allegedly) fragile syncro rear diff goes
so what about controlling the rear diff??

I am curious about electronic control of the rear Haldex unit as well.
Nice work, btw. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,060 Posts

Dutch, does this retrofit kit to allow Haldex installation allow the original Syncro propshaft to be used, or does the prop need to be modified? What about rear CV axles?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Syncro to Haldex Conversion kit available (swingwing205)

Toby - good question, but the propshaft doesn't need to be altered, this is why we constructed the jig, we are able to align the rear differential to its correct location and position. The Haldex unit bolts to the frame with 4 qty M10 bolts on the back and two M10 bolts on the top similar to the original Synco differential. However the two top ones need to be bored to a larger diameter and threaded.
CV Axles: As for the rear CV axles we need to understand that there are two trailing arm versions related to width, overall there are three types of trailing arms related to the larger or smaller bearing (68mm or 72mm), not mentioning the Quantum trailing arms (I have never had one in my hands so can’t judge). The normal trailing arms can be found on all non VR6 platforms, were early ones have have a fully cast housing and 68mm bearing and the latter ones only a cast bearing housing with 72mm bearing, the VR6 platform uses the Plus trailing arms and are about 12mm wider then the normal ones and only use the 72mm bearing size.
Haldex: The Haldex unit compared to the Syncro unit is exactly 20mm wider CV wise, the standard rear CV axles have enough play for reuse. However the best setup is using the slightly wider VR6 trailing arms. But you might want to consider milling some items to win a couple of mm.
More pics of the development process:

Standard Golf Rallye/Passat syncro rear axle. Jig created for correct measurements related to coupling. Note the Haldex unit on the left side.

Top view of the rear axle and the created jig. Haldex rear diff in the background.

Grinding off the original syncro brackets from the rear beam, time consuming and dirty job.

The finished result after removing the original brackets. The Haldex diff is trial fitted using the jig for correct installation and alignment.

Another view taken from behind, you see that the beam just clears the diff housing. The Haldex diff is somewhat larger then the Syncro diff, so space is limited due to the fuel-tank.

Creation of the new diff support bracket using the original mounting points. Again space is limited.

Another view taken from the side. Bushings are used for proper installation of the rear differential. Note: the original G60 trailing arm installed.

Another view from the back. Note: the original drive-shaft on the right side.

Card board drawings for the left side support.

Card board drawings for the right support and inner support.

Final design cut and tack welded in different stages to original rearbeam before being fully welded.

Another view from underneath after being fully welded.

The finished result, including the differential support bracket. Note: differential support brackets is different for MkIII and Passat syncro models.

Drilling holes in top mounts of haldex diff, don't drill further then 44mm.

Tapping of M12 metric thread in holes to mount haldex.

Freshly powdercoated..

Assembled with trailing arms..

And fitted with toe (track) adjustment...

Marcel

Modified by Dutch1967 at 3:46 PM 11-23-2005

Modified by Dutch1967 at 8:14 PM 2-20-2006

·
Registered
3,060 Posts

Beautiful pics, very clear!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
proost!
So, since you guys have done the hard part, I'll just have to say nicks to my plans and just buy these retro parts off you once I get the Haldex gearboxes...
So the Haldex rear gearbox is 20mm wider than the Syncro rear, so divde that # by 2 and that means that the rear CVs need to be about 10mm shorter than normal (applying only to the earlier 4 cyl rear CV's, not Plus or B2 Syncro rear CV's). Correct me if I'm wrong. That wouldn't be too hard to accomplish, I'll just have to get a spare set of those particular rear CV's.
I'm assuming you did your conversion using the Plus rear Syncro suspension, right?

·
Registered
7,957 Posts

i dont think you ever answered the question of "how is the haldex electronically controlled?"

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Syncro to Haldex Conversion kit available (speed51133!)

We can't give away all secrets

Here's a hint:

Something similar coming

·
Registered
3,574 Posts

Couple more questions:
1. How much more weight does this add?
2. Have you tried bolting this to several different cars to see if there is much variation?
3. For the DIY kit, you have already pre-assembled and tack welded the "box" that goes onto the Syncro subframe? Shipping parts around is expensive, so if I understand correctly you can ship the coversion parts and then I am responsible for making them fit. Is this correct?

LOL. This is neat.
So one could put engage the Haldex from anywhere between 0 and 100%? I think I need to change my pants.

Quote, originally posted by Dutch1967 »
We can't give away all secrets

Here's a hint:

Something similar coming

Modified by DHill at 10:25 AM 3-24-2005

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Syncro to Haldex Conversion kit available (swingwing205)

Quote, originally posted by swingwing205 »

So the Haldex rear gearbox is 20mm wider than the Syncro rear, so divde that # by 2 and that means that the rear CVs need to be about 10mm shorter than normal (applying only to the earlier 4 cyl rear CV's, not Plus or B2 Syncro rear CV's). Correct me if I'm wrong. That wouldn't be too hard to accomplish, I'll just have to get a spare set of those particular rear CV's.

Toby - that's correct 10mm each side, however your inner CV's needs to be TT/R32 items. On my setup the outers are also TT items, means I updated the old rear hubs to VR6 front hubs using the larger spline CV's. You only need to machine it to accept the ABS ring.
Quote, originally posted by swingwing205 »

I'm assuming you did your conversion using the Plus rear Syncro suspension, right?

Absolutely -

Here's a picture of the final result.

Modified by Dutch1967 at 3:52 PM 11-23-2005

·
Registered
7,957 Posts

so does the price you quoted in the original post include the electronics needed to control the haldex?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Re: Syncro to Haldex Conversion kit available (speed51133!)

Quote, originally posted by speed51133! »
so does the price you quoted in the original post include the electronics needed to control the haldex?

No, I'm sure that's just for the retro parts for the Haldex to Syncro rear suspension. I'd guess those Haldex electrical control parts will be rpricey, but well worth the $$$!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Syncro to Haldex Conversion kit available (DHill)

Quote, originally posted by DHill »

1. How much more weight does this add?

It's actually lighter then the original item, but keep in mind that the Haldex differential itself is somewhat heavier.
2. Have you tried bolting this to several different cars to see if there is much variation?

It will fit on all MkII/III and Passat models, I do not know about the Quantum, we don't have that model here in Europe, it will fit the normal and uprated syncro system, the normal version has smaller bushings on the ends. See picture below.
3. For the DIY kit, you have already pre-assembled and tack welded the "box" that goes onto the Syncro subframe? Shipping parts around is expensive, so if I understand correctly you can ship the coversion parts and then I am responsible for making them fit. Is this correct?

That's correct.
The picture below shows the difference between the two types of rear-beams. As said it has smaller bushings and lacks the dual exhaust hangers.

Modified by Dutch1967 at 3:48 PM 11-23-2005

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

If I wanted to do this on my a2 1.8t swap, I could put in a rado or a syncro center column?, If I put a fuel cell in the trunk could I leave the rear floor pan alone or do I need still need to cut out part of the spare tire well to clear the diff, And I heard that without replacing the rear floor pan the us version of the rear floor pan is much weaker giving the car sloppier handling, is this true?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Dutch1967 »

It will fit on all MkII/III and Passat models, I do not know about the Quantum, we don't have that model here in Europe, it will fit the normal and uprated syncro system, the normal version has smaller bushings on the ends. See picture below.

You did have Quantum Syncros, only they were B2 Passat Syncros in Europe. FYI....

1 - 20 of 326 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.