VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving with my Mother (she was moving, but that's another story), and we were driving towards Lockheed in Marietta Ga. We got behind a black EV and I said to her, "Hey Ma, check out that black Eurovan." I noticed it had a "Jim Ellis" license plate frame on it, and I told my Mom, "Hm, that's odd. The dealer says we are the only Eurovan they ever seen." And the more I look at it, the more I realize something isn't quite right.
I was racking my brains to remember if it had some of the slick mods Bantastic did to his van, but then I noticed it; the tail lights were very different... then as we rounding a bend in the road, I noticed that there was a sliding side door on the driver's side!
Holy ****!!! IT'S A T5!!!!
I told my Mom we would have to make a detour since I needed to find out more. I got up next to them at a red light and gestured for them to roll down the window. They did and it went like this:
Me: "Hey! I love your T5! How did you get it into the states?!?!?"
Driver: Laughs! "Ha, We are from Denmark... we brought it over!"
Me: "It's wonderful! We have a T4 and would love to get a T5!"
Driver: "Yeah, we love it."
Me: "Is it a diesel?" (I could hear the tell-tale heartbeat of the diesel)
Driver: "Yes, it's a diesel"
Me: "I love it! Thanks for stopping!"
honk honk honk from the people behind them; they had gotten the green arrow for their turn.
I took some pics with my camera phone. This made my day! It was cool to see it person and the driver and his wife were very nice.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
340 Posts
Re: t5 sighting in Marietta GA!!! (tortio)

Quote, originally posted by tortio »

Holy ****!!! IT'S A T5!!!!
Me: "Hey! I love your T5! How did you get it into the states?!?!?"
Driver: Laughs! "Ha, We are from Denmark... we brought it over!"
Me: "It's wonderful! We have a T4 and would love to get a T5!"

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Its crazy, folks from other countries can ship their car over for a year and drive it in the US and then return it when they go home. It doesn't have to meet NTHSA requirements. When my dad had German plated vehicles he thought about shipping his Ford Galaxy back to the US for the time he was back. He checked into shipping and importing for a year but he didn't qualify because he is a US citizen.
One time when I was MTB'ing in Moab Utah I saw a bus from Dresden Germany that had 20 little sleeper compartments. They had shipped the bus over and were touring around the US and then they shipped it back after the tour.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.