VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there vortex so I've ran into my first problem with my latest cabrioet:rolleyes:
81 Cabriolet

So this afternoon I found out the battery died but as soon as I jump started it, everything on the right side of the cluster stopped working.

Tach stays at 0
temp and fuel dont budge either

please let me know if anyone has had this problem or similar dilemma before :facepalm:

Thanks ahead of time,
Matt

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
sounds like you either have a bad ground for the cluster, or you lost positive power to the gauges, bust out a wiring diagram and get to searching. You might also want to be sure you didnt pop any fuses jumping the car.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like you either have a bad ground for the cluster, or you lost positive power to the gauges, bust out a wiring diagram and get to searching. You might also want to be sure you didnt pop any fuses jumping the car.
hmm any idea where I could look for a bad ground? It was very sudden and not intermittent so I kind of had a feeling it was a fuse but it seems like theres no fuse that relates to all of those..
My clock still works*

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Could be the voltage regulator (stabilizer) burned out with the jump start. It is the 3-terminal transistor looking device to the left of the red circle, below:

It puts out something around 10 volts regulated to power the gauges that need a known voltage to work, like the tach and other gauges.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be the voltage regulator (stabilizer) burned out with the jump start. It is the 3-terminal transistor looking device to the left of the red circle, below:

It puts out something around 10 volts regulated to power the gauges that need a known voltage to work, like the tach and other gauges.
Thanks! I will try this.. time to hit the yard :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Apparently folks have had some success with simply soldering the 3 pins to the contacts on the circuit board to fix loose connections:
- http://www.vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10165

Sort of a hit or miss proposition since if that part is good but has a bad connection, you fix it, but if the part is bad, you have just made replacement much harder as it it now soldered in and not just slipped into the connectors.

Someplace I have seen where someone actually replaced the part, but don't recall where I saw that information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.