VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
361 - 380 of 747 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #361 ·
Re: (Shawn B)

heh, yeah, I'll be right there!
Actually, I think the e-brake tubes are copper or aluminium or something, mine were brazed onto the floorpan corners, not welded.

·
Registered
8,674 Posts

Mine are steel too...very rusty, before I fixed it.
ONe day I'll make it...one day

·
Registered
166 Posts
Re: (tosoutherncars)

Hey man that project look's realy nice! Is a hard work but in the long run is goin to worth it. I own 2 Rabbit one is 84 and the other is 79 and I would like to know where did you find all of that body parts(floor pan, side rocker, ect...) cus I'm restoring my 84 GTI and allso the 79 one need some parts to. If you know somethig let me know.
Keep working on that

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #365 ·
Re: (Mk1lover)

Have a look at page... four, maybe? There's a whole write-up on panels. Let me know if you have any questions! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

And yes, I checked... they're steel. Wonder why they braze, & not weld them!
Got the rear beam in! Half welded... I'll post pix later. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·

OK, here we go! Rear beam replacement #2...

Here it is, POR15 on inner surface, zinc-based spray primer on edge (since you can't weld through POR15.)

Chopped off the 4-door B-post mount on my south-african frame rail.

And, clamped up for the second-last time.

Bit of a gap with the fabbed panel, it'll close up nicely when screwed together...

Front half is a little tighter...

The SA Mk1s must run their fuel lines a little differently... there is a bend in the edge that didn't exist in the original. I'm just going to leave it and weld the inner fender flush with it.

Everything lines up very nicely.

Marked where I needed additional holes for plug welds... Pulled the whole thing apart again, punched all the holes with my flanging tool (seen previously), stripped & zinc-primed all the edges, and put it back on for the last time. Drilled and screwed on w. self-tapping screws.

And now... let's weld!

So, there we go. All welded up. Next, I'll weld some angle iron across the rear hatchway, and start drilling out the rear panel.

Modified by tosoutherncars at 4:25 AM 2-18-2008

·
Registered
166 Posts

That's cool. I'v been cheking the webpages and they got more than I thought.
I know the citi golf still in production in South Africa but where did you get OEM parts from South Africa. I'v been looking for the spare wheel well and nobody in USA have it, but maybe I can get it from South Africa.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #368 ·
Re: (Mk1lover)

Quote, originally posted by Mk1lover »
where did you get OEM parts from South Africa.

Far Out Parts, http://www.faroutparts.com. AFAIK, they are now out of business.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·

OK, here we go... rear panel replacement!
I guess for you guys with long tails going to euro or short tails, this is the same as what you'd be doing... I'm using a NOS short-light rear panel I found in Saskatchewan somewhere!

I started by wire-wheeling the rest of the bottom of the trunk panel, which is amazingly free of rust! Well, it had to happen eventually...

I then tacked a brace across the opening, so it doesn't move when I cut out the panel.

I then measured the gap at both sides and in the centre, and marked it on the bar, so I can realign it exactly.

The lower apron had already been cut off for the repairs on the spare tub, so I ground off the paint to expose the weld line.

Then, a rough chop with a disk, to take it out to within 1" of the seam.

I was then able to peel off the last inch, drilling the welds as I went.

So the bottom half is all done... the top half is going to be harder, there's a 2" seam weld on each side to grind down, but it's going well so far! And, no unexpected rust! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by tosoutherncars at 2:03 AM 2-24-2008

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #372 ·
Thanks guys! Got the rest of the panel cut away. Fit's not too bad, everything lines up (bumper holes, tow hook, edges, bottom tab) but I still have a little work to do, the top doesn't want to sit in (forward) enough. Here it is mocked up.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·

Oh! Just scored some nice EBC 10.1" rotors for the front, so it'll be those up front, and 8.9s with mk4 aluminium calipers going on the rebuilt beam. Still looking for rear rotors, but I'll probably just end up spending the $$ on matching EBC ones... This is an expensive hobby!

Modified by tosoutherncars at 5:35 AM 2-24-2008

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
Re: (16vDigiGti)

Quote, originally posted by 16vDigiGti »
what if you spot weld the top in then coax the bottom as you go along?

Yeah, it'll go, it's just fiddly... Cut, trim, hammer, check... & repeat!

·
Registered
13,010 Posts

Holy replace the back panel batman! I replaced a section between the tailights on my car but the full panel, holy. What was wrong with the old one? And why not a swallowtail rear panel? Looking good! Keep up the work and soon you'll be where I am, installing amps, subs and power inverter today.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

This makes me want to wait till next winter to do a small tail tub. So i have a lot of time to get it done right. Your an inspiration to us all. Keep up the great work. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #378 ·

Quote, originally posted by Shawn B »
Holy replace the back panel batman! I replaced a section between the tailights on my car but the full panel, holy. What was wrong with the old one? And why not a swallowtail rear panel?

Well, as you can see a little bit on this one...

...it seems like gravel kicks up and hits the back panel... lots of little rusty stone chips, and the four holes where the license plates mount are pretty crusty. The lower apron was completely rusted, so rather than messing around with patches & whatnot... I figure, let's just get 'er done.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #380 ·

Hey, that colour looks familiar!
Yeah, wish I could have found a swallowtail panel, but I was really happy to come across this one... not a lot of NOS rear panels left, I'm guessing!

361 - 380 of 747 Posts