VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the rocco has been a great little car, but i'm starting to get disgruntled with it. the shifting feels sloppy and it's grinding on most shifts into first if i don't double clutch. it's now getting stuck in in second as well. i haven't tried adjusting the linkage as of yet. my strut caps are messed up too. so in all thats annoying but not the main issue.
some railroad tracks assaulted the car the other day. it almost immediately started to clunk. the clunking is not consistent, as in: clunk, clunk, clunk. but more of: clunkity,clunk clunk....clunk-thud. it only happens on decel or when the clutch is in. it seems speed dependent rather than rpm dependent. also it does it more at lower speeds. if i put my hand on the floor i can feel vibrations coming from the front. i'm beginning to think it might be brake related as under braking the noise gets quieter and consistent. i'm really hoping it's not in the diff. that would kinda make sense as well. although i don't see how getting jarred on some railroad tracks could break the differential. the trans has decided to puke oil out of what looks like the speedo shaft seal. it's everywhere.

so what do 'yall think?
rule #1

1,473 Posts
Re: take it to the shop? (dubalc09)

The clunking sounds to me kinda like a CV shaft? possibly.. I would about bet on it.. how old are the Shafts? also, about the shifter being sloppy, maybe you should purchase a shifter bushing rebuild kit thingy..
I think you can find them for less than 20 bucks..
The CV shaft is probably gonna run you 50 or so bucks for Remanufactured shafts.. And make sure you get the lifetime warranty on them.. youll need it.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Also.. in that first picture.. it looks like you have a leak under that thing.. what is it leakin?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: take it to the shop? (87_16v_85_8v_Scirocco)

it's trans fluid i think. i though CVs clunked when turning and such not only on decel. the joints arnt leaking or loose so i kinda doubt it would be that. i guess i could be wrong. how would i check them?

Modified by dubalc09 at 7:17 PM 6-15-2006

·
Registered
3,131 Posts

Lots of things can clunk under the front of the car. Best thing is to crawl under and take a peek.
Could be something came loose.
Shifter rebuild kit will help, but maybe the tranny needs to be retired. I've retired 3 in less than a year with regular driving alone.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: take it to the shop? (16V_Scirocco_GTX)

i've already done that. there isn't anthing loose that i can find. the motor mounts are all ok. i cant get far enough under the car to see if the downpipe is hitting the firewall. i'll jack it up tomorrow.
i wouldn't retire the trans. if anything it needs to have the sycnros replaced baring noting else has broken.

Modified by dubalc09 at 7:30 PM 6-15-2006

·
Registered
921 Posts

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a smartass. What year is your car? I love the early style fender/front signals.
My bet is it's suspension/steering related: when you brake, you are putting a pretty heavy/consistant load on the suspension components meaning whatever is broken doesn't slap around as a result. Have you determined if it's more on one side or another? jiggle around the components on each side and compare them to eachother.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
Re: take it to the shop? (me97ggl)

i can help ya if ya want, i'm local http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif if you need some help sometime, send me an IM!
adjusting the linkage is pretty simple, and the bushing kits are cheap and easy, if ya need help, just send me an IM

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
check the two bolts that hold on the brake caliper. A good jarring (railroad tracks) could easily loosen those up. I had it happen to me not too long ago. If that's what happened, the solution is to put a little blue loctite on the threads.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: take it to the shop? (MK1Scirocco1980)

the car is a '77. oh, the strut mounts are oem. they only came on early cars, 75's and maybe 76's. they used to be offered by autotech as well.
i don't plan on driving it any more with the unknown noise and leaking fluid although i appreciate every ones offers. i might have to take one of you up if i can figure out what it is.
the brake caliper thing sounds plausible. would they move if i pushed on them? cause i tried that and they felt solid.
the thing that is really puzzling me is the decel thing. even if my foot is on the gas just the tiniest bit it won't make the noise. i'll check some things out tomorrow and report back.
p.s. i getting worried it might have to do with the differential. am i crazy?

·
Registered
516 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dubalc09 »

the thing that is really puzzling me is the decel thing. even if my foot is on the gas just the tiniest bit it won't make the noise.

See my thread called "Rotational thunka thunka thunka" which is active right now. I have almost exactly the same symptoms that you do....

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: take it to the shop? (Mike Drew)

i read through your whole thread and your problem seems to be similar, however. i'm not feeling any vibrations in the body, or the steering. also i have not noticed an increase in the sound under turning loads. as well as when i put the clutch in the sound continues. maybe i haven't driven it enough to notice these things.
so i'm assuming the problem is drivetrain related:
motor mounts
differential
CV joints
possibly the brakes.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts

one prob is those strut bearings are worn out

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.