VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Imola Yellow GTI that i just spent many many hours on the outside of the car detailing it.
first step was Meguiar's clay bar
then Meguiar's step 1 paint cleaner
then Meguiar's #7 Show car glaze polish (1 coat)
then Meguiars Gold Class wax (1 coat)
Now yellow doesnt have the deep quality of darker paints, so how do you really make it look deep and shiny because of the bright color.
i've spent like 6-8 hours on the paint and i want it to show. now if this was a black magic pearl car it would look like you can swim in it.
thanks

·
Registered
778 Posts
That's why I almost went with the BMP GLI; it shows off just how anal I am

I've seen you car and it can't get any cleaner. Maybe try a couple more coats of Gold Class. Or you may want to consider a Zaino application to get a deeper look to your paint. But like you said, it's yellow, and it will probably never be as "deep" as you would like.

·
Registered
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (mjpd1)

yeah but Marcus your Lagoon Blue has a nice metallic flake in it so you can be as anal on that as you want.
If you are coming to the meeting saturday night, you'll see my car. I havent driven it out of my driveway since sunday during its cleaning process and I havent even touched the interior yet except for the front windshield cleaning.

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
Re: taking care of a yellow car, how to make it look GOOD? (VR6 NRG)

Traditionally, high carnauba content waxes such as Zymol Carbon or S100 are used for achieving a deep gloss. Carnauba both hides minor surface imperfections and gives a certain depth that is missed with synthetic waxes or polymers.
That being said, I recently waxed my black golf using Zaino instead of S100. By layering the different polishes, I acheived nearly the same effects of depth and wet appearance to the paint that I achieve with S100. The benefit of using the polymer however is durability.
If you're looking for a quick fix however, I suggest trying S100. 2-3 layers should provide you with the depth and gloss you're looking for. Layering is key. It's longevity however is roughly half of that of synthetic polymers.
Don't forget, IY does not have the same depth and optic characters as black or other dark colours... you will never get that "mile deep" glossy wet shine that prisitine dark coloured cars achieve.

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
Re: taking care of a yellow car, how to make it look GOOD? (blackmagic3393)

Quote, originally posted by blackmagic3393 »
Does S-100 have any cleaners in it?

Not that I'm aware of. It's a high content carnauba and bees wax paste wax. It's very easy to apply and remove. It is NOT a cleaner wax.
Available through harley davidson dealerships.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Re: taking care of a yellow car, how to make it look GOOD? (VR6 NRG)

You can also get 95% of the S100 gloss from Meguiars #16 pro wax and a lot longer durability.
On the yellow I'd go for Zaino then the #16 .. you get the gloss from Zaino and the depth from the #16 and good durability all round.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Brian we should have a Detailing GTG sometime
We can all get our cars together somewhere and clean them and then take pics

·
Registered
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (mjpd1)

we could do it at my house, youd have to bring your own detailing stuff but i can provide the electricity and water.
I also have a DA buffer that is simple to use.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts