VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems to happen itermttently. I'll be acelerating (car is fully warmed up, this has happened with ASR on and off) and the surge of power comes as the turbo spools.. power.. power.. power.. no power.. power..
Its like the turbo spools then suddenly stops and then comes back. I'd like to have as much info as possible going into the dealership. So.. torn vaccum hose? DV problem? Fueling issue? My engine is stock.
Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Taking my 2002 to dealer tomorrow.. any insight appreciated with engine problem. (uv23)

*bump* 36 views and no offer of help. c'mon, I know there are plenty of knowledgable folk on here

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Re: Taking my 2002 to dealer tomorrow.. any insight appreciated with engine problem. (uv23)

My car does this at part throttle sometimes too. Did it both when stock and when chipped. I recently replaced my DV and it still seems to do it. I really don't know what causes it, but you're not alone!

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Taking my 2002 to dealer tomorrow.. any insight appreciated with engine problem. (BrandonC)

Well atleast I'm not alone.
I first noticed it when the car was cold so chalked it off as due to not being sufficiently warmedup.. but then it started happening afterward too.. blah

·
Registered
82 Posts

I'm not sure, but my AWW does this too... I'm wondering if the ECU has some sort of engine protection code written in.
What I'm thinking is that the ECU retards boost when it crosses some arbitrary power threshold. It only does it intermitantly because conditions have to be just so. And perhaps the reason why this code exists is to maintain the engine's longevity?

When it happens to me I lift off the throttle slightly and reapply the gas as I feel and hear the problem smmoth out.
But I cant for the life of me recreate those conditions at all! It just happens some days, and for no apparent reason. Oh well, kooky Germans and their crazy programming.
Ein kleiner Frieden des Gemüts mit meinem VW bitte?

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

My POS dealership won't even touch the car!! They said they can't do anythign while I have the aftermarket intake on. Complete incompetence.
I'm gonna take itto my local tuner shop and see what they can do. So now I need some advice/speculation/info more than before. C'mon people. VW won't give me any support. How about some from my community.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Re: Taking my 2002 to dealer tomorrow.. any insight appreciated with engine problem. (flanders)

my car started doing this after my 8th or 9th chip revsion...although smoother it had a major flat spot at 3500 or so. But when it was stock it was fine. The new GIAC v10 chips are all based n this...if you are cruising at 30 or so and then punch it you will feel it with revision 06 or 10. Anyway, this may not be related to your problem but I thought Id throw it out there. ciao
chris

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Re: Taking my 2002 to dealer tomorrow.. any insight appreciated with engine problem. (wolfsburg_de)

quote:[HR][/HR]Ummm ... how about taking off the intake and having the dealer fix it (you have a warranty, after all). Guesses would include DV, MAF sensor.[HR][/HR]​
i second that.. much rather have the dealer look at it than taking advice from a bunch of people that are, for the most part, the furthest thing from being technicians..
..and no, all 2002s aren't "chipped"

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Taking my 2002 to dealer tomorrow.. any insight appreciated with engine problem. (UncleBens)

Because then they'll likely blame it on my short shifter. Or my coil overs. Or anything else that will keep them from having to get off their asses. Its more a matter of principle than anything else. Yes I am that stubborn. I am taking it to my local tuner shop (very competent mechanics) on Monday. I'll pay the cash to have ti done right. Should have just bought a 2000 used and saved the money I wastedon a useless warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.