VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Re: taking off the oil pan (Volkswagen2NR)

Yeah, well... unless your gasket is still good, I would have a spare laying around just in case when you remove it.. it rips apart

·
Registered
668 Posts

The oil pan gasket is made of rubber, not the thin flimsy gasket material like the intake manny one, so it will stand a little abuse but still be careful upon removal. so really you dont HAVE to replace it, but heck if you have on around it couldnt hurt either...

·
Registered
3,915 Posts

wrong
mk4 are gasket less
you have to use RTV high temp silicone, the blue stuff worked for me for the past 2 years almost
have fun with the drivers side bolts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Re: taking off the oil pan (D Wiz)

Mr .D Wiz is correct, MK4 oil pans use a high temp silicone. Go the dealership and buy some of their stuff. It's expensive, but works extremely well.
Again, like D Wiz said - the 2 driver's side bolts are harder than ass to get out. VW has a special tool to get the bolts out...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: taking off the oil pan (StevenT)

Where are the other 2 bolts?!?! i have them all off but those 2 bolts...do i have to take off the something? someone help

·
Registered
668 Posts
Re: taking off the oil pan (D Wiz)

wow, my mistake and sorry about that for handin out false info there on the gasket or lack thereof, props to you guys who caught it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts