VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have never had a proper big engine "sports car"

I want something v8 , manual trans, rwd. fun to drive and relatively reliable.

I have been looking at everything.

I want something i can work on myself - get parts relatively easily

I used to be a mechanic - so i don't mind doing easy to moderate repairs however i don't want to be working on the dang thing all the time...

Was really close on buying a coyote mustang - 2013 gt. was in great shape. this was pre covid crazy used car prices.

Now in that time i had a turo rental on our COTA motogp trip- initially it was on a c8 corvette. the c8 had a cel on, terrible engine noise - shortly after driving it. Turo owner was super nice and swapped us out on the vette into a jaguar f type - v6 supercharged. I know little about these cars. Me and my wife really enjoyed the vehicle. No manual transmission but man it drove great. I've heard the v8 supercharged f-types are a riot !

It got me thinking that maybe i need to increase my price range, possible go a bit more upscale in my sports car v8 rwd type of thinking ?

So now i'm looking at everything basically under 45k

aston martin vantage v8 manual trans - old tech, was owned by ford / has lots of volvo and jag parts of that era - i'm guessing not that reliable , easy to work on?

jaguar f type v8 , zf trans - newer tech - possibly more reliable but still an "upscale" marque - so lots of the above applies - expensive parts , easy to work on ?

2011 and up mustang gt - coyote - great engine - transmission issues , meh ? ford build quality is cheap but honestly it's never really bothered me - i drove a ranger for the last 4 yrs lol

Financially i understand the jag and aston could financially ruin me. They just seem like such fun cars.

Am I forgetting anything else ?

Does anyone have experience with either the f-type v8 supercharged or v6 supercharged or the vantage v8 ? I remember doug demuro had a vantage years ago that (if i remember right) was problematic...

Oh forgot to mention - it would be nice to have some practicality - rear seats to take 2 mid size dogs would be nice but is not a requirement.

Thanks all !

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
C6 Z06

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
After asking a similar question a few weeks ago... I would opt the Jag F-type R if you can swing the extra coin for the R trim... No one recommended it so I knew it'd be a deal.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After asking a similar question a few weeks ago... I would opt the Jag F-type R if you can swing the extra coin for the R trim... No one recommended it so I knew it'd be a deal.
man they sure look and sound amazing. need to find someone local to go test drive one.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Reactions: Kevin RS

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure where OP is but in my area C7's are still $50k+.
i'm in denver - they are around 40k ish

I honestly did not love the c7 *before the cel, engine noise that i drove...granted it was probably a bit rough being a turo rental but i really didn't care for the interior. sight lines, a pillar stuck basically right in my face - i'm 6'2 and 220 lbs

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
i'm in denver - they are around 40k ish

I honestly did not love the c7 *before the cel, engine noise that i drove...granted it was probably a bit rough being a turo rental but i really didn't care for the interior. sight lines, a pillar stuck basically right in my face - i'm 6'2 and 220 lbs
IMO the C6 Z06 is more desirable, especially with that 7L V8 and it being the last of the NA Z06s. It’s still a bucket list car for me but prices are climbing and will be out of reach soon.

IIRC the 7L had some issues with valves but I’m not sure what the exact issue was.

Reactions: Kevin RS

·
Registered
691 Posts
IMO the C6 Z06 is more desirable, especially with that 7L V8 and it being the last of the NA Z06s. It’s still a bucket list car for me but prices are climbing and will be out of reach soon.

IIRC the 7L had some issues with valves but I’m not sure what the exact issue was.
A C6 Z06 with a big cam and wide tires is still one of the most menacing looking cars in my opinion, would rather one over a C7.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I personally never warmed up to the C6. Probably would be different if I were to drive them back to back, but I like C7, then C5 Z06, then C6 myself. FWIW.

·
Registered
11,765 Posts

The C8Z will be NA, but I suppose the C6Z will be the last NA Z06 with a manual.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts