VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pulled the engine in my 82 Rabbit and forgot where this ends. It's the black plastic line that's grouped with the fuel supply and return line on the left side of the bay. One side goes to the rear of the car, but where does it connect at the front?

The Bentley shows an expansion tank, but I didn't have one. Not sure why the p/o would have pulled it, but I've found some shady repairs....

-Todd

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think we're talking about the same one. I have a grouping of three lines... 2 steel and one plastic.

One steel is "supply" and goes to the filter mount. From the IP is the next hose that feeds the other steel "return". Then, I have a straggler black plastic line, which I'm assuming is some type of vent line for the tank.

Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure the black plastic line was hooked up.

-Todd

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
OK, now I follow.

Does the black plastic line actually trace back to the tank? It could be from the evap system from a gasser. Since VW Diesels share a platform with gassers, Diesel VWs often have parts from gassers on them, probably because it's cheaper/easier just to go ahead and install the part rather than eliminate it and design a new part to replace it.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Good to know... so there shouldn't be an expansion tank as the Bentley shows. Thanks

-Todd
Not needed with Diesel fuel. D2 doesn't "expand" or vaporize like gasoline does. With my Mk4's I removed the the valve, which allows the expansion lines to be filled with fuel. Every time I fill my '09 I fill right to the brim. I've never had a spill, even after a short drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.