VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I understand there is the potenital for a tapping sound from the lifters, BUT the noise coming through to the interior of my GTI is really loud--much louder than a TDI at idle. It eminates from what seems like under the psgr footwell. I Can hear it going 70 on a cement hwy if I go into neutral and coast for a while--begins as soon as the engine hits idle. I seem to recall someone suggesting there is a potential TSB for this and it is due to some hoses hitting each other when the engine is resonating at idle. Is this a possible cause? The noise is actually louder when I'm in the car with the doors closed than when I have the hood up and am listening from above the engine. I cannot imagine VW considering this noise within normal operating parameters.
Apologies for reposting my concerns about this but I just don't think it's a typical lifter sound, or an acceptable sound if indeed that's the cause.
Any thoughts??
Thanks again.

Modified by jksarbau at 5:53 AM 3-9-2006

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Re: tapping under psgr footwell at idle is very loud. (jksarbau)

Quote, originally posted by jksarbau »
OK, I understand there is the potenital for a tapping sound from the lifters, BUT the noise coming through to the interior of my GTI is really loud--much louder than a TDI at idle. It eminates from what seems like under the psgr footwell. I Can hear it going 70 on a cement hwy if I go into neutral and coast for a while--begins as soon as the engine hits idle. I seem to recall someone suggesting there is a potential TSB for this and it is due to some hoses hitting each other when the engine is resonating at idle. Is this a possible cause? The noise is actually louder when I'm in the car with the doors closed than when I have the hood up and am listening from above the engine. I cannot imagine VW considering this noise within normal operating parameters.
Apologies for reposting my concerns about this but I just don't think it's a typical lifter sound, or an acceptable sound if indeed that's the cause.
Any thoughts??
Thanks again.

Modified by jksarbau at 5:53 AM 3-9-2006

This has been covered in this forum extensively. Most likely it's a side effect of your climate control system and is nothing to worry about. My 2.5 does the same thing...
Annoying? Yes. Problematic, at least no one thinks so...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: tapping under psgr footwell at idle is very loud. (Calinada)

Exactly. I'm bringing mine in tomorrow to have it looked at. Rumer has it it might be related to a line physically hitting something when the engine resonates at idle. Apparently some people have has some sort of an insulation fix put on. Thre is a pretty long thread about this inthe technical>2.0T forum.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Re: tapping under psgr footwell at idle is very loud. (Calinada)

Quote, originally posted by Calinada »
Yeah, I've got the same problem and it does it even when climatronic is off...

So does mine...
But that's what I believe it to be...
It can't be two different tapping noises we're talking about. A "tap, tap, tap" coming from the passenger side dash? Yea, it's the same thing.
Nobody has been able to confirm what it is exactly, but from what I have heard, the consensus seems to be that it has something to do with the climate control...yes, even when it's off.
I've just gotten used to it, and turned up the music.

Modified by NewsJunkie at 11:12 AM 3-9-2006

·
Registered
7,769 Posts
Re: tapping under psgr footwell at idle is very loud. (NewsJunkie)

2.0T Rattle Issue
Is has been covered and they're putting a resolution into action.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Re: tapping under psgr footwell at idle is very loud. (NewsJunkie)

Quote, originally posted by NewsJunkie »
So does mine...
But that's what I believe it to be...
It can't be two different tapping noises we're talking about. A "tap, tap, tap" coming from the passenger side dash? Yea, it's the same thing.
Nobody has been able to confirm what it is exactly, but from what I have heard, the consensus seems to be that it has something to do with the climate control...yes, even when it's off.
I've just gotten used to it, and turned up the music.

Do you still have those that tap noise? Care to record it for me?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.