VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all..
i just tried using the search... many many times... couldn't find anything about porting our TB...
what i'm lookin for is pics... and some minor descriptions... if anyone could hook me up,, i'd beVERY appreciative... i've got a spare layin around i'd like to experiment with.. and.. i'm headed out to find the butterfly from an A2 GTI 8-valve next week

thanks all!
nate

·
Registered
11,718 Posts
Re: TB porting (g60_c)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: TB porting (g60racer)

wow... sweet.. those pics are JUST what i wanted... now i gotta get started on my project
thanks g60racer!
nate
(i thought it was a bad idea to "plug" those holes, in the off chance that could come screaming off?
oh well.. i'll use the brass from a GTI anyway. thanks again!
nate

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

That is one Damn sweet porting job. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I will try doing the same after I get my hands on a throtle body, so that I can take my time doing it right.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts

Nice job! It looks really pro. I've got a question though. Why port the small butterfly opening? Isn't that the boost return? When at WOT that is closed and all the flow is going through the larger one right? The boost return should only be open when the throttle butterfly is closed.

[Modified by thetatau87, 9:14 AM 4-5-2002]

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Re: TB porting (DubG60)

quote:[HR][/HR]What did you use to fill the holes on the butterfly???[HR][/HR]​
Get the same butterfly valve from a reg 8v engine, it fits and doesn't have the "piece of pie" that that G60 has.

·
Registered
10,269 Posts
Re: TB porting (OttawaG60)

what did you use to do that , ive been trying to port mine w/ my dremel but im really getting nowhere w/ it

·
Registered
11,718 Posts
Re: TB porting (OttawaG60)

The smaller butterfly is the primary, it's the one you'll use most of the time while you're driving... it's not the boost bypass (that's underneath the TB, facing downward). The primary is used by itself until half throttle, then the secondary (larger one) begins to open until both are completely open at full throttle. I wanted to increase throttle response at part throttle too, and it worked well... the car is actually a bit twitchy now... I got used to the throttle being very sensitive, but when I let other people drive it, it's funny... they barely touch the throttle and the car jumps (lol). Takes a light touch.. very nice.
For those holes in the plate, I used a high temp JB Weld epoxy that Kushan had used to plug a leak in his 944 (the midengine 400c.i. blown/nitroused monster that ran 10's in street trim, you may have seen on the cover of Turbo magazine a few times) when his intake manifold cracked. I figured if it could stand those conditions, it would be fine in my TB. I did it rivet style, with a plug through the hole that I then flattened on both sides of the plate and then sanded smooth with the dremel so there was enough flash on either side to keep it in place securely.
The A2 8V GTi plate *is* a MUCH better and safer way to do it though!!! I just didn't have one handy when my TB was out and I was doing this. Made do.

[Modified by g60racer, 5:00 PM 4-5-2002]

·
Registered
167 Posts

Was the main inlet bored out before you commenced the tapering? if so, to what diameter?
I'm just in the process of working my TB so this post is perfectly timed
nice job man.

·
Registered
533 Posts

So what is the advantage of the flat plate vs. the one with holes..?
And does anyone have a throttle body they want to part with..

[Modified by dontouch, 5:43 PM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
11,641 Posts
Re: TB porting (dontouch)

If you just remove the wedge and fill the holes with something, you are running the risk that your hole plugs will fall out and get in to the engine, either bending valves or damaging pistons.
-Nate

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: TB porting (SaabFan)

ok... what do you guys use to clean the whole thing up?.. get all the sh!t off it... will a generic oil/grease remover, like the castrol superclean.. ro whatever it is... work? or.. is there something specific i should look for? i just don't wanna use anything that might potentially damage the TB material.. thanks all!
nate

·
Registered
11,641 Posts

I have two chemicals that ceover all my cleaning/grease & grime removal/stuck bolt problems:
Simple Green Automotive
Break-Free CLP
-Nate

·
Registered
11,718 Posts
Re: TB porting (SaabFan)

Yes, as I said
"The A2 8V GTi plate *is* a MUCH better and safer way to do it though!!! I just didn't have one handy when my TB was out and I was doing this. Made do."
Key in on this people, if it's not something you HAVE to get done today, then go get an 8V GTi plate and sock it in there... much safer. I haven't had probs with mine, but no need to risk your motors if there's no need to risk your motors needlessly. Got it? Or do I need to redundantly repeat myself over and over again repetitively?

·
Registered
11,641 Posts

Hey Brendan, what was that you were saying about . . umm. . . a different plate or something?
Oh, and what do I use to fill in the holes where the wedge attached?

-Nate

·
Registered
533 Posts

Ok maybe i didnt write my last post the correct way ..?

What are all the g60 owners gaining from the solid plate vs. the stock one ? Is the stock one restricting us somehow ?
Its obvious the gains on the porting but the butterfly, i have know clue ..

Also,, has anyone done an actual test on one of these after the port and polish..? (DYNO?)

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: TB porting (dontouch)

ok.. by using the solid plate (A2 8V engines) you are removing that HUGE restrictor wedge, thus allowing air to flow more freely through the TB. freer flowing air means a better throttle response. Now, as for just taking that wedge off, and leaving the holes unplugged... bbbbaaaaaddddd.... that will leave you with a "leaky" butterfly, which will never be able to kickdown into the "idle" mode, as it will be allowing lots of air through, which it won't want. So, unless you want to use JB Weld, or soemthing similar, and take the chance of littel pieces flying off and becoming embedded in your engine, you just hit a junkyard up, and buy an 8V TB, and source the butterfly off it. Then, you port the hell outta your TB

nate

1 - 20 of 22 Posts