VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

TB porting

2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  mrkrad 
Re: TB porting (OttawaG60)

The smaller butterfly is the primary, it's the one you'll use most of the time while you're driving... it's not the boost bypass (that's underneath the TB, facing downward). The primary is used by itself until half throttle, then the secondary (larger one) begins to open until both are completely open at full throttle. I wanted to increase throttle response at part throttle too, and it worked well... the car is actually a bit twitchy now... I got used to the throttle being very sensitive, but when I let other people drive it, it's funny... they barely touch the throttle and the car jumps (lol). Takes a light touch.. very nice.
For those holes in the plate, I used a high temp JB Weld epoxy that Kushan had used to plug a leak in his 944 (the midengine 400c.i. blown/nitroused monster that ran 10's in street trim, you may have seen on the cover of Turbo magazine a few times) when his intake manifold cracked. I figured if it could stand those conditions, it would be fine in my TB. I did it rivet style, with a plug through the hole that I then flattened on both sides of the plate and then sanded smooth with the dremel so there was enough flash on either side to keep it in place securely.
The A2 8V GTi plate *is* a MUCH better and safer way to do it though!!! I just didn't have one handy when my TB was out and I was doing this. Made do.

[Modified by g60racer, 5:00 PM 4-5-2002]

Re: TB porting (SaabFan)

Yes, as I said
"The A2 8V GTi plate *is* a MUCH better and safer way to do it though!!! I just didn't have one handy when my TB was out and I was doing this. Made do."
Key in on this people, if it's not something you HAVE to get done today, then go get an 8V GTi plate and sock it in there... much safer. I haven't had probs with mine, but no need to risk your motors if there's no need to risk your motors needlessly. Got it? Or do I need to redundantly repeat myself over and over again repetitively?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.