VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TB: RVU - Comfort Control Module Software Update (OS) - includes TB 00-06-14

A 'RVU' is a 'Required Vehicle Update'. Think of it as being exactly the same as one of those updates you get from Microsoft Windows Update, one of the ones that says "You really should apply this update to your computer."

In this particular case, this Technical Bulletin (TB), which is number 00-06-14, addresses two possible problems that might exist on 2007 model Eos vehicles that have a VIN range between 1 and 20223. The possible problems are as follows:
1) Inconsistent roof opening operation and possible “open rear locks” message in the multi-function indicator (MFI) between the speedometer and tachometer.
2) Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is too sensitive and causes TPMS indicator to illuminate in Instrument Cluster.
This is not a recall! It is a software update that will be automatically applied to your Eos the next time you take it in for service. You don't have to visit your VW dealer prior to your next scheduled service event, unless you are experiencing one of the above two problems and the problem is bothering you so much that you just can't wait until that next oil change.
For those of you who are really curious about the car and how it operates, I have attached the TB to this post, in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. You can download it and read it. It's a pretty simple operation, no dis-assembly is involved, the VW technician just loads new, improved software into your car. A similar TB was issued for Phaetons last year, if you want to see how such a software update is performed, you can read this post: Phaeton TB: Distortion in the Display Unit in the Instrument Cluster (MFI, or Y24).
If you have not already done so, please read the Eos forum post entitled Eos Technical Bulletins (TB) - Philosophy, How to Use, Index. This is essential reading for all VW owners who are curious enough to be reading TBs - it explains the philosophy and etiquette involved in TBs.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Re: TB: RVU - Comfort Control Module Software Update (OS) - includes TB 00-06-14 (PanEuropean)

My wife (Bef) just called me that she was on her way home from the dealer. While there they did the radio update (fit "NO SAT" and bass-spike issues). They also performed two recall/TSB items while there. This was one of them she said .. the other one was your other post, below!
Thanks for the post ... good to know that you (and the dealers) are helping keep us up to date!!

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: TB: RVU - Comfort Control Module Software Update (OS) - includes TB 00-06-14 (PanEuropean)

By the way - if you read the preamble to this TB carefully, you will see that this TB (00-06-14) supersedes a previously issued TB number 00-06-09 dated Oct. 18, 2006.
Michael

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: TB: RVU - Comfort Control Module Software Update (Shaka)

Quote, originally posted by Shaka »
...good to know that you (and the dealers) are helping keep us up to date!!

Our experience in the Phaeton forum over the past two years is that VW of America is pretty good about identifying problems and getting the information out to the dealer network quickly. They do deserve credit for this, and often they don't get the credit they deserve.
Michael

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

There is another TB out that is very closely related to this same subject - it is TB 00-06-20, dated Oct. 25, 2006 (the same date as 00-06-14). 00-06-20 supersedes 00-06-19, which was issued on October 20, 2006.
I have attached 00-06-20 to this post. It looks to me (an uneducated amateur enthusiast) that the two TBs deal pretty much with the same subject, but I am sure there must be a reason why VW published two different documents.
Michael

·
Registered
60 Posts

I would like to report that, happily, NONE of the VAGcom changes we made to the comfort module were affected by this update. We were unsure if everything would reset back to factory settings or not... So if you made changes to central locking, DRL, etc, you won't lose your settings

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: TB: RVU - Comfort Control Module Software Update (Bef)

The coding of comfort controllers is normally not changed when the software within the controller is flash updated. There are (at least) three different concepts involved within the controller - coding, adaptation, and software version. Each are addressed through a different process, hence, changes made to any one will normally not affect the other two.
Michael

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Re: TB: RVU - Comfort Control Module Software Update (PanEuropean)

Michael,
What is the software changes opened up the opportunity for different coding though? I'm not sure if its ever happened but...
Hypothetically... what if the software upgrade meant that there was now a new bit/byte of coding required to turn on/off a feature or something along those lines!? I wonder how that gets handled...
Software changes tho probably never have that issue. If something that drastic is changing, its prob a new piece of hardware.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: TB: RVU - Comfort Control Module Software Update (Shaka)

I am not familiar with this particular software update, however, I suspect that the scope of it is limited to correcting the problems that were found to exist in the former version.
My experience with software updates to the Phaeton has been that occasionally, a software update will enable (or sometimes disable) other configuration changes, but whenever this has happened, the software update has been routine in nature (an ongoing product improvement), rather than a 'bug fix'.
Michael

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.