TL;DR:
Would you rather have a ‘22 BRZ and a ‘20 M340i or M550i

OR

One G80 M3 6MT

Wheel Tire Car Cloud Vehicle

Or

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Sky Vehicle

Context:
I currently have a ‘22 BRZ that I love—it’s cheap, cheerful, and incredibly balanced (although wish it had 100hp more). I’m thinking of placing an order on a G80 M3 manual, but I’m wondering if I’ll regret selling the BRZ. Should I just buy a fast DD to scratch my luxury sedan itch and just keep the BRZ, or can the G80 do double duty?

Reactions: Jimmy Russells

· Registered
1,874 Posts
Why not get the G80 M3, sell the BRZ and give it a go? If you find the "one car solution" isn't for you I can't imagine that getting a BRZ (or better yet, a GR86) in a couple of years will be hard.

· Registered
2022 Subaru WRX Limited
25,189 Posts
I've gone back and forth between the one versus two car thing.

I've recently gone back down to one fun new car. I've concluded that I won't do two again unless the second:

- Is special to me and/or hard to come across.

-Is something I can pay for in cash or pay it off in a year or less.

Otherwise, it's not worth trying to juggle two sets of payments, taxes, maintenance and insurance.

So personally, I would go the M3 option.

· Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
29,148 Posts
It would come down to the use case for me. If we're just talking street and backroad driving, I'd opt for the 1 car solution in this case. If we're talking track days and modifications, I'd prefer the 2 car solution.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,245 Posts
Main reason I advocate for two-car solution is the one car is so fast and so nice that you'll lose a lot of the "fun car" charm of the BRZ. Every time I buy a hot hatch/sport sedan type car, I miss the utility of my daily and the fun of a lighter, more playful car. Everyone's calculus is different, but if you're pining for horsepower and luxury, then I think you're on the right track to add a non-M BMW to your current stable.

· Registered
3,141 Posts
I learned years ago to leave my sports car to do its sports car thing and not try to get a luxo-sporto-matic do-it-all. I like the sports car aspect too much to have a luxury-esque car in the stable that tries and fails to do the sports car thing. Different folks have a different tolerance level for a sporty car that can't quite be an actual sports car. For me, getting an M car that does a very good impression of a sports car only works if I also have an actual sports car for when I just want to drive for joy alone. 2 car solution would be my vote.

· Registered
48,461 Posts
I learned years ago to leave my sports car to do its sports car thing and not try to get a luxo-sporto-matic do-it-all. I like the sports car aspect too much to have a luxury-esque car in the stable that tries and fails to do the sports car thing. Different folks have a different tolerance level for a sporty car that can't quite be an actual sports car. For me, getting an M car that does a very good impression of a sports car only works if I also have an actual sports car for when I just want to drive for joy alone. 2 car solution would be my vote.
This

At some point on a rainy cold Tuesday afternoon after work, no matter how special the do-it-all luxobarge claims to be, you're just climbing into "your car".

There's something about a unique non daily that heightens the sense of occasion.

IMO, of course.

2 cars. The compromise solution is just that, a compromise.

· Registered
4,250 Posts
This

At some point on a rainy cold Tuesday afternoon after work, no matter how special the do-it-all luxobarge claims to be, you're just climbing into "your car".

There's something about a unique non daily that heightens the sense of occasion.

IMO, of course.

2 cars. The compromise solution is just that, a compromise.
This right here, I always prefer two cars of differing purposes.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

· Registered
F80 Bahn Stormer, MK7 R
33 Posts
The problem I’ve found with the 2 car solution is, eventually, you’ll just be driving one of them (the daily becomes too boring or the special car isn’t special enough). The new M3s are a button press away from whatever you’re feeling that day/minute/second and can do either mode pretty well, G80 gets my vote :cool:.

· Registered
960 Posts
I have no space for two cars, but if I did, and I had the budget for an M3, I think I'd do something like a manual Supra or E46 M3 or 6cylinder Porsche and just daily something cheap like a Mazda 3 hatch.

That M3 does look tempting. I think I'd go for a CT5-BW though - they just seem a bit more special/rare.

· Registered
35 Posts
2nd gen BRZ owner here. It’s funny because I think of it AS the one car solution, but I suppose for people who want a lightweight NA RWD sports car that is also comfortable/practical. It’s like if an ap2 s2000 and e36 m3 coupe had a modern day baby.

If you do go with a 2 car solution, I think you could go less practical than the BRZ even. Lotus Elise/Exige would be perfect IMO. I can’t think of any cars that are as visceral or exciting.

I’ve driven a friend’s manual f80 m3 on the street and while hilarious in a straight line, I don’t think I could ever be satisfied with it as my only car. Too insulated and big/heavy/turbo. I know for sure I’d be itching for something lighter and sharper to toss around on the weekends.

· Registered
A chili pepper and an empty crate.
10,359 Posts
A 5 series is a better daily driver than an M3. A BRZ is a better sports car than an M3. If you can store and maintain two cars, I think you'll be happier with that solution.

Not that the M3 isn't a good car, but it's heavier and riding higher than the sports car, whilst being more cramped and riding worse than the luxury car. It "makes up" for that with a boatload of power, something you'd get with the M550i regardless.

That said not sure about a BRZ and an M340i, quite a bit of overlap falling under the M3. I think you need the mid-size to make the two car solution worth your while.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts