VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Shopping for a new DD for myself, looking for something in the 25(ish)k that can tow my 350z to track days if need be. I would also like it to be an enjoyable drive and get decent MPG.

I have come up with two choices so far:

2009 fx35 - basically a sport sedan on stilts, rwd, lots if similar components to my Z so i am very comfortable with maintenance or repairs.

2009-10 Audi Q5 3.2 - also a decent drive but not quite as sporty as the fx, slightly better mpg despite awd, and can tow a little more. Downsides are potentially expensive repairs and maintenance costs.

Are there any cars i am missing? 2010 MDX is out of my price range and the RX is too boring.
I do not really want a track and i am open to traditional body-on-frame SUVs but the MPGs turn me off.

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
I'm pretty anti-Audi SUV. I've had too many problems with them.
On the other side, I've had zero problems with 06 and newer Range Rovers, Range Rover Sports, and LR3's. Plenty of those for 25k. I usually got 20mpg in the Range Rover on my 80 mile commute.
Yeah - you can't get the Treg TDI for $25k but - it tows my S4 flawlessly and gets 19mpg at 70mph while doing so...........29mpg when not towing. It's had a couple minor things replaced under warranty but we've put 65lk on it in less than 3 years.......

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Yeah - you can't get the Treg TDI for $25k but - it tows my S4 flawlessly and gets 19mpg at 70mph while doing so...........29mpg when not towing. It's had a couple minor things replaced under warranty but we've put 65lk on it in less than 3 years.......

Funny thing Joe, the Touareg is far more trouble free than the Q7 in my experience, even though they are the same platform.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Yeah - this is the best VAG car I've owned and well I've owned way too many. I wouldn't touch anything earlier than an 09 though - although the 07/08's aren't bad. I wouldn't own it if it wasn't a TDI though.
So you have the 6cyl TDI? After owning countless water cooled dubs myself, I agree. The Touareg is probably one of a small handful of newer VW's I'd own.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ill start looking at touregs too.

Funny thing, i was sort of lusting over range rovers as well but figured i was insane. Are they as terrible as everyone says they are? I LOVE third gen range rovers.

EDIT: jesus, whats the deal with TDI Touareg prices?

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Your 350Z on a proper car hauler is going to weigh in over 5000 pounds, so I'd recommend you find a vehicle rated for at least 7000 pounds towing capacity in order to have a safe reserve.

Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade
This is my first suggestion. For a DD where fuel economy is a concern, go for a 5.3L example (though the upgraded axle ratio would be a wise choice). If you select a long wheelbase model--Suburban or Yukon XL--you'll have added stability and control when towing, which is a huge plus.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your 350Z on a proper car hauler is going to weigh in over 5000 pounds, so I'd recommend you find a vehicle rated for at least 7000 pounds towing capacity in order to have a safe reserve.

This is my first suggestion. For a DD where fuel economy is a concern, go for a 5.3L example (though the upgraded axle ratio would be a wise choice). If you select a long wheelbase model--Suburban or Yukon XL--you'll have added stability and control when towing, which is a huge plus.
That much? I was figuring closer to 4000, 3200lbs car + basic trailer.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
If you get a Yukon/Tahoe with the LT Auto ride, it won't squat.

Thing about towing isn't HP, or even weight. It is your braking capacity. This is where your towing capacity gets a very large portion of its rating. I would go further and tell you to get a trailer with at least 1 axle set having brakes. Shorter wheelbase vehicles aren't known for their sway control. They get tossed around real good. If that happens, a simple application of your brake controllers actuator can help.

If you want something to just tow and not be a DD, get a Ford E350. Dirt cheap to operate, run, and tows wonderfully. I prefer backing a trailer with a E350 EXT than any other vehicle.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That much? I was figuring closer to 4000, 3200lbs car + basic trailer.
A nice aluminum trailer will be over 1000, plus car, plus restraints, etc...

I've towed with short wheel base vehicles as well was vehicles with rear axles sprung on the soft side. It sucks. My father has a trailblazer ss, which has plenty of power to tow, but it is just not that composed...

If you actually tow get a heavier vehicle with a longer wheel base and you'll appreciate it...

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Ill start looking at touregs too.

Funny thing, i was sort of lusting over range rovers as well but figured i was insane. Are they as terrible as everyone says they are? I LOVE third gen range rovers.

EDIT: jesus, whats the deal with TDI Touareg prices?
06 and newer Rovers are the most reliable SUV I saw in my shop. They came in for brakes, tires, and oil changes. My brother went from an FX45 to an ML500 to a Rover Sport and he's been happiest with the Sport. No problems at 95k. 05 and earlier Rovers are troublesome

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.