VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have you guys noticed how rapidly tcl has changed over the past year or two vs. the 6 or 7 years before that? (oh yes, i've been around since '99 or '00)
for most of those years it was big motors, gas sucking power, a lot of expensive - or used to be expensive when new cars being bought and shown, lower it, mod it this and that.
and then the chit hit the fan.
now it's:

gas sippers
weight savings
hybrid this and that
diesels are the future
mods are a waste of money
insurance/gas etc are expensive
you don't want a payment right now, keep what you have!
don't buy that old car as a daily drive work in progress, repairs will be too expensive
etc
i just find it rather... interesting - almost exciting, actually - to see just how quickly times change thanks to a combination of economic forces, media, and this pretty powerful thing called the internet.
now if only automotive financial responsibility starts taking hold outside of the internet at as quick a pace... imo, the world would be a better place. fewer gas sucking beater pigs or newish full size suv's being driven by ppl who can't afford to maintain them, better for the environment, fewer deadbeats defaulting on loans, lower insurance prices etc etc.
now don't get me wrong, i'm not anti hot rods, race cars, mods, show/go, suv, truck or anything else - but i think that a bunch of changes to most mainstream drivers purchasing and customizing habits will be a good thing all around.

·
Registered
13,591 Posts
FV-QR

The only thing I've noticed is a reduction in the number of truck/suv threads. People still like their gas guzzlers as evidenced by the popularity of vehicles like the G8 GT, Camaro SS, M cars, S/RS cars, etc.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: FV-QR (Bah Humbug)

Quote, originally posted by Bah Humbug »
Your last few "changes" have been a constant. Some of the others as well. Really, it's only the fuel efficiency and hybrid bits.

orly?
i used to see a lot more "yeah, buy it!! it's an awesome car! you'll love it & never regret it!" type posts... and now a lot of "save your money, buy a house instead, because that car is a waste of money."

·
Premium Member
1991 Civic Si
11,653 Posts
Re: FV-QR (true snowboards)

You forgot that the "Don't buy a car, buy a HOUSE" replys for every "what should I buy?" thread have gone away.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by true snowboards »
orly?
i used to see a lot more "yeah, buy it!! it's an awesome car! you'll love it & never regret it!" type posts... and now a lot of "save your money, buy a house instead, because that car is a waste of money."

Yes, really. I lurked for years before registering and there was always a lot of "it'd be stupid to buy that in your position". There used to be huge flame wars with the inestimable VF over this.

·
Registered
21,776 Posts
Re: TCL: Times They Are A Changin'... (true snowboards)

Quote, originally posted by true snowboards »
s big motors, gas sucking power, a lot of expensive - or used to be expensive when new cars being bought and shown, lower it, mod it this and that.

I'm still about that.

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Re: TCL: Times They Are A Changin'... (true snowboards)

It's only temporary. People are not spending now because they can't get credit not because they really see the merit in saving.

·
Banned
5,867 Posts
Re: TCL: Times They Are A Changin'... (Merc-MarkO)

Quote, originally posted by Merc-MarkO »
It's only temporary. People are not spending now because they can't get credit not because they really see the merit in saving.

People aren't spending because they see people around them losing jobs. Also, the economy dictates spending habits. Credit is always available.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: TCL: Times They Are A Changin'... (Merc-MarkO)

Quote, originally posted by Merc-MarkO »

hopefully that's not the case, but it's probably true.

i'd prefer people actually LEARNED something from all of this and as a result learned to make better decisions about what they drive & why and at what cost etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.