VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilemma. I bought a MK2 GTI for a project car, however at this point I am thinking about parting it.
My SVT Focus is having a new problem creep up daily (right now it is bucking and surging and is barely driveable), I'm in college and money is tight, and the GTI requires at least a couple k to get on the road. Plus I can actually make some money parting it out.
My question is should I? I love the car dearly but it is not a very good financial decision. But it is also not good to just give up either.
So what should I do? Part it, profit, and leave with a little cash and a feeling of disappointment, or go ahead and finish it regardless of the cost?

· Registered
8,151 Posts
Re: TCL, when do you throw in the towel with your projects? (redsvt04)

Wait until you're out of college for a project car. You need reliability so you can concentrate on your studies. There will be a time for your dream Mk2.

· Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
25,357 Posts
Re: TCL, when do you throw in the towel with your projects? (Cubster)

Quote, originally posted by Cubster »
Wait until you're out of college for a project car. You need reliability so you can concentrate on your studies. There will be a time for your dream Mk2.

Agreed. I wanted a project car in college but it's really not the time or place for it. I graduated in 2007 and only recently (January) got the project/weekend car of my dreams.

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: TCL, when do you throw in the towel with your projects? (Eg2Driver)

Quote, originally posted by Eg2Driver »
for your focus, check the vaccum lines, the DPFE and the wires going to the coil pack/alternator. All cheap fixes.

Will do thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Thanks for the replies guys.

· Registered
8,447 Posts
Re: TCL, when do you throw in the towel with your projects? (Cubster)

Please be quiet while my stagnant project tells you to politely shut up.

· Registered
E46 330ci coupe
27,615 Posts
FV-QR

This wisdom is strong. I thought I could handle a project car while in college too. Not so. Thing is, once you're out of school and (hopefully) making that money, you can build the car to be what you really want it to be. The best that car will get from you at this point is a half, maybe even a third-assed build.

· Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: FV-QR (TheDarkEnergist)

Quote, originally posted by TheDarkEnergist »
The best that car will get from you at this point is a half, maybe even a third-assed build.

This is the main reason I would part it out. I like to do the job right the first time around, but I just can't dedicate the time to do that at this point in time.
If anything I'll use the money and put it away for a few years to save for something else (I have always loved RX7s).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.