VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What am I missing here? I have a 2015 Jetta TDI SE with about 42,000 miles on it. I drive about 2,000 a month. I plug the info into their calculator online and one thing just doesn't make since.

If I turn in on 2/4/17 the value is $24,736.73 with 40-45k mileage.

If I turn in on 12/30/17 the value is $23,926.73 with 60-65k mileage.

If I turn in on 9/8/18 the value is $23,506.73 with 80-85k mileage.

This all makes since.

But say I decide not to drive the car but 10 miles a month and turn in on 9/8/18 with 40-45k mileage it says it worth $26,956.73.

So basically if I turn in now its worth $24,736.73, but if I keep 20 months and drive 10 miles a month the value goes up to $26,956.73???

Can someone explain?:what:

·
Registered
2019 Tiguan SE 2022 Passat SE
411 Posts
OK, I see the issue. Based on how long you have owned your car, there is a deduction for "excessive" mileage. VW allows 1040 miles per month. So, if you hold the car and do not drive it, you will eventually have no excessive mileage penalty.

42000/1040 = 40.4 months

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there somewhere you can see the penalty chart costs?

I get what your saying, but still doesn't make sense. Your basically telling me my car is worth more in 20 months with same mileage as it is today.

Was the value you received exactly what their calculator online said? Or how were they different?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
JUST A QUICK WORD OF WARNING: The calculator is not correct for most 2015 vehicles!

We had a 2015 TDI SEL that was only 3 weeks old when the announcement was made. When we traded it in (December 2016), the car had just UNDER 9,000 miles on it. Since we had owned it for 15 months, that's an allowed miles of 15,600 (15 x 1040). Anything under that should be the full Buyback Adjustment. So based on the numbers from those tables, we should have an additional $870.

And based on this knowledge, we went ahead and purchased a 2017 GTI Autobahn about a month before our scheduled buyback back for the TDI. After only 4 days with the GTI, the entertainment system crapped out on us. It continued to reboot over and over, so back to the dealer. Turned out to be a control module (sounds like a major recall might be coming soon) and it took 6 weeks to get the part.

Meanwhile, when we took the TDI in for our appointment, VWofA is refusing to give us the amounts in the FTC tables. We've been in touch with the judge and lawyers for the class action law suit, the lawyers for VW, the CEO of VWofA (passed on to his assistant actually), VW Customer Care, VW TDI Care, the FTC, our local dealership, and our own lawyer. VW claims the FTC tables on the VW website are incorrect and the FTC claims they aren't. Only the local dealer was willing to truly listen to our situation and try to help. They also informed us that most 2015 vehicles are having issues with the buyback amount.

At this point, we have decided that we've spent entirely too long dealing with VWofA over this whole thing and have finally given up.

CONGRATS VOLKSWAGEN ... YOU WIN!! You've lost two customers for life. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
That seems a little extreme over $870 and a warrantied issue on the GTI.
All depends on your point of view. When casually mentioned as $870 and a warranty issue, it sounds like no bike deal. I have been a huge VW advocate for over 25 years, and I even dismissed the diesel-gate as a stupid mistake. But when that same company then drags the process out much too long, repeatedly treats you like crap, lies to you countless times, and you still go back for more ... only to be sold a brand new vehicle that won't work correctly for the first 6 weeks of ownership ... I'm done. Trying to summarize the past 15 months into a few short paragraphs is virtually impossible.

You drove it for 9K miles and had it over a year. That's about $72 a month for a year. That's a steal. You getting upset is what's wrong with the entire deal. That money you think you're owed never would have been a thought in your mind had it not been for EPA crusade against diesels.
I agree that the EPA is unfairly messing with VW (and others). We originally thought about just keeping the car. Two problems. First, since it's a 2015, there's no "fix" being offered for the 2015 model Golf. Second, since we live in California, there's going to come a time that we won't be able to register the vehicle here without the nonexistent fix. Then we'd be stuck with a car worth ?!? so we opted for the buyback. Had the amount they promised on their website matched the amount they actually offered, this would never have been a problem. And yeah, it's only $870. But at the same time, it's $870. And I feel lied to and betrayed by a company that I've sold by for a long time.

That does seem a little extreme. FWIW I have the same infotainment system in a GTI and Jetta for a combined year and a half and have had no issues with either of them. That's what warranties are for.
For what it's worth, the 'soon to be recalled' infotainment center control module is for the 2017 models. And yes, it was under warranty. Doesn't change the fact that it took 6 weeks to get the part that was promised in 2-3 weeks. And after all the other lies and BS we dealt with, I'm just doing my part to steer others away from this.

SIDE NOTE: After all this crap, it's easy for me to say goodbye to VW as a company, but it's really hard not being part of the community. I've meet so many great friends through the VW forums, shows, meets, and other GTGs.

·
Registered
692 Posts
That was phase 1 of a 2 phase fix. The 2 phase involves some new exhaust/filter work.
Nope. The 2015 models already have the required DPF and SCR that can satisfy the EPA and CARB with a software update. It's been approved. The guy complaining about his '15 model could have kept it.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.lati...70106-story,amp.html?client=ms-android-google

The problem isn't that VW couldn't comply with emissions. It's that their AECDs weren't provided upfront. Typically, once outlined they'll have a closed never to be recorded negotiation with EPA and CARB, separately. If EPA decides the AECD won't be approved is immediately labeled a defeat device. At that point, an upfront fine can be negotiated. Then the AECD is approved. That's extortion.

VW gave them the finger and I suppose thought they'd either never be found out or win in court. EPA recently filed against the Fiat Chrysler 3.0L ecodiesel and GM as well. The problem is that VW did nothing different than the other manufacturers. Pollution outside of the test cycles has always been higher. All gasoline motors maintain the same type of AECDs. Specific conditions enable full emissions compliance while others do not... Like accelerating on an on ramp for the interstate.

Anyways, this is all found in EPA documents. They swear it's not extortion because they attempt to approve the AECD without payment as first priority. However, they refuse to release records of negotiations or payments in order to keep "trade secrets" and technologies "safe"... How convenient.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Yes, there is. I have a 2015 and had it fixed a few weeks ago. It was super easy and I've had no drop in fuel economy and the money was in my bank two days later. Win-win.
Glad to hear that worked out for you. We were never offered a "fix" for our car. Every time we spoke to someone new, I inquired about it. And every time we were told they didn't offer one for the 2015. Had that been offered, there's a really good chance we would have just done that. Frustrating.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Deleted - remembered what my Momma told me and realized my snarky response was not required.
It's funny how much this made me laugh. It's all good man, it's all good.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Glad to hear that worked out for you. We were never offered a "fix" for our car. Every time we spoke to someone new, I inquired about it. And every time we were told they didn't offer one for the 2015. Had that been offered, there's a really good chance we would have just done that. Frustrating.
I ran into that when asking VW employees too. I ended up downloading the court documents and reading through it.

If you had waited the full 2 years they had stipulations written in that 1) you wouldn't lose buyback value as long as you stayed within about 1200 miles monthly and 2) they'd extend your buy back timeframe beyond 2 years if a fix was never offered.

I didn't trust anybody involved to be well versed on the ruling... Not because they're idiots or had another agenda, but because it's so convoluted. Additionally, any money that doesn't go back into the buy back program doesn't go back in VW's pocket. They have no reason to try and screw over anybody

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,111 Posts
For what it's worth, the 'soon to be recalled' infotainment center control module is for the 2017 models. And yes, it was under warranty. Doesn't change the fact that it took 6 weeks to get the part that was promised in 2-3 weeks. And after all the other lies and BS we dealt with, I'm just doing my part to steer others away from this.
Fun fact, bought a new '16 GLI almost a year ago now. drove it for week. then dealer had it for 6 weeks due to electrical fault from improper factory wiring, and was constantly being told "we're doing what we can to fix it, maybe this week... maybe this week...", and never got fixed until they sent an engineer from VW HQ in germany to fix it, since it was an issue that had never happened before and thus no diagnostic steps could be followed.

that being said, i dont hold a grudge against VW at all. **** happens, they owned up to it, fixed it, paid for a rental car for me for entire time.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Fun fact, bought a new '16 GLI almost a year ago now. drove it for week. then dealer had it for 6 weeks due to electrical fault from improper factory wiring, and was constantly being told "we're doing what we can to fix it, maybe this week... maybe this week...", and never got fixed until they sent an engineer from VW HQ in germany to fix it, since it was an issue that had never happened before and thus no diagnostic steps could be followed.

that being said, i dont hold a grudge against VW at all. **** happens, they owned up to it, fixed it, paid for a rental car for me for entire time.
Glad to hear they took care of you and fixed the problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.