VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here chipped there TDI?
Did it effect MPG?
How much, if any HP did it increase? Got dynos, or just notice a big improvement?
I've been mostly shopping for a GTI, but I have to get reasonable, and I've been looking at Jettas.....I prefer the GTI, cause theres way too many 2.slow Jettas out there, and I'd have to spend lots of money on a Jetta quick to distinguish it from other people who just use there car for transportation.
Who uses a car just to go from point A to point B?
Sheesh
Thanx.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Re: TDI Chippers? (Dweezil)

BIG difference in power....never dyno'ed but its easily noticable.....haven't figured out MPG change yet.....working on that on this tank of gas so i'll get back to ya

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Re: TDI Chippers? (Zuber Speed)

what chip didja get? I'm interested, but want to know the positive AND the negative sides to chippin!

Cheers!

·
Registered
61 Posts

i've got a 2001 tdi golf, and i love it. i got it chipped after reading a lot about the pros and cons.... about the only complaint people had was the clutch, but only if you heavily mod on top of the chip.... and also the mpg going down, but i have made numerous runs and none of them have been below the 44mpg mark and even over 49 on the interstate. http://www.tdiclub.com has a lot of information about the chip. i would recommend it highly. i have no clutch problems with the mods in my sig, and mpg is the same as before

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: TDI Chippers? (PcolaTDI)

What is the clutch complaint exactly?
I've never heard of it....
I'd say, something about autos.....but I'd rather buy a Type-R sticker than drive an auto......

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: TDI Chippers? (Zuber Speed)

quote:[HR][/HR]the clutch slips due to crappy clutch and a LOT OF TORQUE
[HR][/HR]​
Mmmmmmmmmm, torque.
I am thinking I'm gonna have to start a thread and see how many TDI Chippers had the clutch slip.....
Are there old posts on the clutch slip I can read more about?

·
Registered
403 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
I am thinking I'm gonna have to start a thread and see how many TDI Chippers had the clutch slip.....
Are there old posts on the clutch slip I can read more about?[HR][/HR]​
Check at the TDIclub.com and do a search on "clutch". Basically if you drive normally the OEM clutch is good for a chipped (read Upsolute there is NO worthy alternative) TDI. Once you start doing more than just the chip, the clutch cannot take torque that is now in the range of 250-300+ lb-ft.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts