VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
More pics

So i started stripping the wiring harness and the engine out of the parts car to put into the truck. The new long block is built and about ready to paint.
Colt stg 2 cam lightly ported head, TT dual valve springs cryo treated. New valves, guides and lifters.
1/2" girdle with ARP hardware.
My helper was sick on Saturday so I substituted him for a new tire when dropping the engine and gear box. Gear box sold that day and has now financed the purchase of a Peloquin Diff for my AWD 02m gear box. I have decided to make a trip towing 3 gear boxes out to Diesel Land in Denver to have him do the gear swapping for me. He has done this before, so I feel he is the man for the job.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That girdle kit looks good ;). Make sure the 4 smaller main cap washers go on #1 and #5 main caps. I presume the spacers under the girdle were machined to give .001-.002" clearance between plate and block?

Give me a holler if you ever have any tdi questions :beer:.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks

That girdle kit looks good ;). Make sure the 4 smaller main cap washers go on #1 and #5 main caps. I presume the spacers under the girdle were machined to give .001-.002" clearance between plate and block?

Give me a holler if you ever have any tdi questions :beer:.
Thanks Whitbread!

I do have a question for you. Did you machine your pistons on the passat in order to have valve to piston clearance or was it fine with the 3 hole head gasket? I am refering to the compound turbo passat. I had the machine shop deck the block a tiny bit and now am freaking out because the said they didn't check the clearance when they put the pistons in. I find this out a week after they give it back to me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
More pics

I have still been collecting parts and striping both cars.
Drained the fuel tank and the diesel worked great in the pressure washer burner. I can't belive the 8 year old diesel could still be good.
Bay is almost ready for some fab work.
Found a little rust under the carpet. For a Utah Truck this is un heard of.
Started pulling everything off the under carriage.
Got the MK 4 dash out and am ready to pull the harness from the TDI. Anyone need some airbags and the controller? They are for sale.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Trans

I was going to DieselLand this weekend to have my gears swapped from the Euro Tdi box to the 02M awd box and I had ordered a Peloquin LSD a couple months back and still have not received it so it looks like I will just be dropping off the box and have to come back in a couple weeks to pick it up. I am going to drop by KermaTDI while I am out there and say hi to all the guys that have been hooking me up with parts. Hopefully the diff gets here soon so we can get the engine and trans fitted.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
hu

how much was the euro tdi box your using to swap gears from into the TT gear box? ive been wanting to do this swap for a long time but never found gears in the price range id be willing to pay.
I can't remember the exact price but I think it was around $1300 when exchange rates were good.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Subframe

I have been working on the subframe and another project at the same time.

Subframe partially welded. Center brace is just sitting there. I will need to get the frame test mounted before I can weld the center brace in.

I have been cutting and grinding away with a flap disc to get rid of a bunch of undercoating and un needed metal brackets. Doesn't look like I have done much but I have got rid of about 7 lbs of crap.

Not finished but getting close. Second subframe is a lot closer to where I needed to be. Measure once cut twice.

And here is the project that is slowing me down. Almost finished and then I can really concentrate.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I broke down and purchased the 02m gearbox mounts and 06A block mount from Retrofication.
I am going to use these to get the engine and trans mounted in the truck and line everything up then start fabricating the perches for the mk4 mounts to go in. http://www.retrofication.co.uk/mk1-golf-18t-20vt---19-tdi-06a-6-speed-02m-engine-mount-kit-187-p.asp I don't think the stock frame bracket will hold half the amount of torque we are shooting for so that is why we are going this route. Let me know if you have experience otherwise.

We ordered the clutch and flywheel from http://www.kermatdi.com/servlet/the-8364/Clutch/Detail They did not have the correct clutch in stock so they special ordered it for us. Its the Southbend k70287-ss-ofe and flywheel 0503.

Does anyone have any corado seats they want to let go of for a good price. Fabric does not need to be perfect but bolsters do.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
I just got my clutch and flywheel yesterday now I am waiting to get the gearbox back from diesel land and then the gearbox and block will be getting painted then the fun will begin.

Oh I also got a 15 lb bottle of NOS just to keep it interesting.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I think Nothing Leaves Stock in PA makes motor mounts for this swap. Have you checked out TDIclub at all? A couple people have done compound turbo's on ALH's. Most go with a 17/22 but quite a few have stepped up to the 22/60 turbos. Looks like you're headed in the right direction with Rosten rods and a girdle. What pistons did you go with? Any plans on coating them and/or dropping the compression ratio? Sticking with 1.9L or are you bumping up to 2.0? What are your plans for the head/cam? What's the plan for fuel delivery? Haldex will be sweet!!
Corrado's aren't temporary distractions. ;) They'll literally rob you blind. Ask me how I know. Good luck on the build! My Dad has a caddy and I've thought for a while that it would be cool to make it a TDI.
I now have 2 Corrado's. My brother bought a 93 slc that needed some love and he just let it sit for a couple months in our parents drive. Needless to say my old man called and said he wants it gone. So I picked it up and put a new clutch slave and master in it and am now working on changing out the motor mounts to stage.5 from black forrest industries and upgrading the control arm bushings to poly. Hopefully I can sell it quick to finance more parts for this caddy.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
gear box

So this package came today:

It weighed in at 126 lbs and could not believe how well it was packed. Thanks Anuthee out at http://www.dieselland.net

Fully built 02m box with Peloquin limited slip diff and USP upgraded shifter forks.
I really can't say enough about how good Anuthee was to deal with. Stand up guy that tells you how it is and gets the work done quick.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts