VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this question has been asked a million times...I did a search and didn't get any results.
Anyway. I have a 90 Jetta Wolfsburgh that has 178,000 miles on it. The ole 8V is getting tired, but the body is impecable [aside from the paint and the hood..which is getting replaced this week]. It should make it through the winter, but if I want to continue driving it, I'm going to have to at least put a head gasket and clutch in it. At any rate, it's tired and slow.
If I were to do a swap, I would want to make turn it into a more economical [and cool] car.
Has anyone else had first hand experience with a similar swap? I imagine the cheapest way to do it would be to find a wrecked TDI, but I have no idea how hard they are to find.
Any estimates on cost and time? Any links to resources or documentation on this swap would be extremely helpful.

·
Registered
13,712 Posts
Re: TDI into 90 Jetta Swap. $ & Time (Fahrvergnuugen)

Thats a tough swap...there are some out there though, and some of them are damn quick. You're gonna have to do engine, tranny, all the fuel lines, gas tank, and the wiring should be plug and play. Haven't seen many wrecked TDI's around though. It's a great engine though, my Dad has one in his NB, Just turned 97k, and he lovves it!!
Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts

I know a guy here that does these swaps often, he has several sources for engines, one of them is from crash test cars, these engines are brand new. or be on the look out for VR6 swaps, people often remove a good 4 cylinder with all the fixins.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: TDI into 90 Jetta Swap. $ & Time (password)

Wow, that's awesome. Can you give me some more info? I might considering paying someone to do it for me [depending on how much work there is to it and how much they would charge to do it]. Please let me know!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts

Me too! I'm looking to aquire a Fox Wagon or QSW this Winter, and would like to have a TDI put in this Spring.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Re: TDI into 90 Jetta Swap. $ & Time (a1junkie)

when your doing a TDI swap, you also need the pedal assembly from the mk3, since there is no cable for the trottle body, it's via a sensor on the gaz pedal.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: TDI into 90 Jetta Swap. $ & Time (zaskar)

This is the type of info I need
Of course, it'll take forever to gather it all

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts