VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when it comes time to rebuild my 2L 16v, I think I'm going to try and just stuff a TDI in there instead.
I assume the conversion should be pretty straight forward..... any fuel system issues with changing from gasoline to diesel?
What about firewall/turbo clearances?
Other issues?
What's it require...???
- Matt

·
Registered
11,982 Posts
Re: TDI into a B3 Passat? (Stephen Webb)

hmmm, let's see ...
- A3 or B4 TDI engine, clutch, and transmission (your tranny isn't strong enough and is geared too short)
- Complete TDI wiring harness including all sensors and ECU
- Drive-by-wire pedal cluster
- B4 TDI instrument cluster
- All of the TDI intake system including intercooler
And that's only the basics. Rest assured that there will be a ton of other minor issues ... It will be less expensive to just buy another car with a TDI already installed ...

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Re: TDI into a B3 Passat? (GoFaster)

Its been done though. There is a fellow who converted his G60 Syncro passat to a TDI.
...Why would you need a DBW pedal cluster?
'97.5-'99.5 Jetta TDI's + '96-'97 passat TDI's are non-DBW. That would be the easiest engine to use for the swap. All the motor mounts also line up perfectly, unlike the '99.5+up TDI's.
It would however probably be cheaper just to buy an original TDI equipped car, unless you are a master mechanic and plan on doing everything yourself

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Re: TDI into a B3 Passat? (GoFaster)

......that could be trouble

Maybe i should really start researching these engines a little more instead of stickin' around with the G60 guys all the time

[Modified by N'Syncro, 9:46 AM 4-8-2002]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: TDI into a B3 Passat? (Stephen Webb)

I've been considering a similar conversion. Y'all probably think I'm nuts, but I'd like to drop a TDI into my G-60 Corrado someday in the near future. I love the fuel economy, and I'm not a real aggressive driver, I just love the shape of the Corrado. It would certainly be one of a kind.
Can anyone tell me why this wouldn't be possible?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.