VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first tdi its a 2000 Canyon red jetta. it has an ALH engine it it with 166700 miles on it. when i first drove home the car it had no balls. i did some poking around and took the egr off and it whas cloged really bad. i cleaned the egr and the intake and took it for a spin and it got alot better but i feel it should have more. so my first question is what else can i look for. my next question is the exhaust is cut off right in front of the cat, is that hurting the power. my last question is i want to do the timing belt on it and i read that you need to vag com the car in the end to tweek the fuel is that need or not. thank you for your help

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
The 1.9 TDI isn't a speed demon for sure. Do you have a boost gauge?

As far as the timing belt, yes, you need VAG-COM.

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
I think it will go as high as 15-16 psi, but its a VNT so it will vary a little more than a gasser turbo.

Have you scanned the car at all for codes? Have you driven a diesel before?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey vr6spooled, welcome to the TDI world :) you are gonna love it. like rocker said the car is not really fast stock! get a boost gauge see what your turbo reads. i own a 1998 TDI Jetta my max is at 14lbs so your should be around that range. If it is over than you are in limp mode.
My suggestions to you would be, check the air filter, fuel filter and find out when the Timing Belt was done. If there is no info about the info on Timing Belt... I would go on that as soon as possible and replace that sucker :) for your car's own sake lol and saves you money in the long run. Same thing with the oil filter.

Check the filters and fluid and let us know how it goes. Also forums.tdiclub.com is your best friend from now on :) go ahead and ask the experts over there who might be able to help you much better than me ;)

·
Banned
3,950 Posts
A 98 tdi is a different motor and turbo than a 00 tdi. Regardless, they both have 90hp and are slow as heck stock. Shouldn't be a big surprise to you. If you've never changed a TDI t-belt before, your in for a big surprise. It's not easy or very straight forward on these. And no, the exhaust cut would only be HELPING you not hurting you.

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
If you've never changed a TDI t-belt before, your in for a big surprise. It's not easy or very straight forward on these.
Actually its not that bad at all. You just need to have the right tools. Mark and Pray isn't a good idea on these engines. But there are excellent DIY guides out there on the job. We did our first one on our TDI earlier this year. It really wasn't terrible. You really need to follow the steps, and you need VAG-COM, but its not all that difficult. More time consuming than anything.

·
Banned
3,950 Posts
No its not horrible, but it's much more involving than popping off the old belt and slapping on the new one, like you said.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i was an auto tech for 5 years but never had to work on a diesel so i figured i would ask people that have own these. what exactly do you need the vag com for and what do you guys suggest for chips

·
Banned
3,950 Posts
Need vagcom to check timing and to hammer mod if need be. Chips I'd go with Rocket Chip 1000%.

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
^ Truth. IQ and timing are two different things. Both need to be checked with VAG-COM though.

And any diesel isn't just take off the belt and slap a new one on. Any timing belt job shouldn't be like that really, especially on an interference engine.

Unitronic is great for tunes. Malone is another one that comes highly recommended. Plenty of info about TDI tuning out there, especially at TDIClub.

·
Banned
3,950 Posts
I understand the difference betwene fueling and timing, but often times people need more/less fuel, even in stockish form. Easy to check when doing belt.

·
Banned
3,950 Posts
Its just something I would personally do at the same time to kill 2 birds with one stone

·
Registered
53 Posts
Changing the timing belt shouldn't change the timing, I still am not seeing that you have to have vagcom for a tb change. The timing should be either right or not. If you're having an issue with timing, the timing belt wont make it better or worse. Just my logic, but sometimes I don't even make sense to me.

·
Banned
3,950 Posts
And if your timing is ****ed up before the timing belt swap, it might get even more ****ed up. When belts get old tension drops. How are YOU going to know if timing is right or timing is wrong if you dont have the tool to check? When tension drops, things slip and jump gears. Timing gets lost. Can you imagine what 3-generations of timing-belt changes would look like on a timing chart if they didn't have vcds to keep track of things?

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
And the timing you check with VAG-COM is for the injection pump timing, not belt related timing...that is done with the timing marks. And you also need to check the IQ. Not as big of a deal for a regular timing belt job, but it can still need fussing with.

When we did our timing belt on our TDI, when we hooked up the VAG-COM after, the IP timing was way retarded and needed to be advanced. Ran before the job fine (never drove it, as it had a dead auto but it ran and sounded just fine). Things can change with timing when you do the job. Do it right or get someone else to do it who will.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.