VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I have a 97 jetta tdi that i bought about 6 months ago. As soon as this winter arrived, it has been having major trouble getting started. When I turn the key I let the glowplugs heat up and then i start cranking. After about 5 seconds, the engine crank slows down until it stops dead, and then the car alarm begins to honk. I origionally thought that the problem was in the battery, since it was old and the started did not seem to have a lot of juice. So I purchased a very nice orbital purple haze battery today but when I went to start it up: same thing. I tryed getting a boost from another car but still no joy.
Does anyone know what is going on here, and what I can do to get her started?
Regards,
Johnny

· Registered
2,567 Posts
Re: (stewart.j)

The car alarm is programmed to go off if the battery gets too low... a "warning, this car is no longer projected because the battery is dying" signal.
My suggestion: find a automotive battery dealer, Autozone, etc, that will quickly test your entire charging system for free... otherwise you're pretty much just guessing battery ? alternator ? starter ? and those are expensive to replace as a test.

· Registered
2,445 Posts
Re: TDI won't start! (stewart.j)

are your lights bright with the new battery? even after cranking?
if the lights are bright, then it could be the starter is bad.
the car should start within 2-3 seconds of cranking,
is the cranking speed a decent rate of rotation?
check the glowplugs to make sure they are heating,
make sure the fuel is getting to the injectors, that there is no air in the fuel lines or more air coming from the Fuel filter.
have the timing checked on the car, poor or retarded timing will make it harder to start when cold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.