VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 93 GLX makes a soft whistling tea pot sound (also similar to a harmonica) sometimes when idling with the AC on coming from behind the center dash (radio, climate). It comes and goes and is not real loud. It is not affected by blower speed, vent selector position, or temp mix. It goes away when RPM's are above idle (~600). Also when it has started to do this and you incease RPM's the whistle is replaced with soft hissing sound.
I'm guessing it has something to do with a valve or regulator thing on the AC lines in the dash that "sings" when the compressor kicks in and the pressure is lower because of idle speed.
Any idears?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Re: Tea pot or harmonica sound coming from dash (robertd)

I'm getting a similar pattern, A/C on and at idle. will hum, then sort of moan. I think its behind the airbag on the passenger side. Goes away if A/C shut off or rpms increased. Don't tell me the compressor's getting cranky?!?
$$$ http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Re: Tea pot or harmonica sound coming from dash (TrueValue)

Mine does that too !
I am going to get my AC system recharged and see if that fixes anything, it is not as cool as it use to be.

[Modified by CG1182, 4:02 PM 8-2-2002]

·
Registered
856 Posts
Re: Tea pot or harmonica sound coming from dash (CG1182)

Hmm...I just noticed that same sound recently, and my sight glass is bubbling, so maybe it does have something to do with the charge level--possibly air bubbles going through the expansion valve or (that radiator-like thing the air goes through to be cooled whose name escapes me at the moment?!?).
I wonder...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Re: Tea pot or harmonica sound coming from dash (robertd)

One other weird pattern, this occurrs when it is very humid...could the equivalent of an expansion valve (TXV) be freezing up? A/C has stayed exceptionally cold, haven't checked sight glass yet.

[Modified by TrueValue, 8:20 AM 8-3-2002]

[Modified by TrueValue, 8:22 AM 8-3-2002]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts