VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at buying a used vehicle.
1 - not in any hurry.
2 - used b/c I don't want a huge payment.

I like the way the Tundra looks and have heard they are huge. They really don't look any bigger than any other full sized truck. I've driven an extended cab Chevy 1500. I didn't think that was huge.

But anyway....anything I should look out for? Thoughts, Opinions?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
My work has a small fleet of 2011 Tundra's in 2 door, short bed, 2WD V6 trim. They make almost 300hp (285hp) on 91 Octane and are decently quick. A lot quicker than you'd expect a V6 Tundra to be. However they are super thirsty and I routinely get under 10mpg towing which is to be expected. And whenever I'm not towing I haven't seen better than 18mpg a tank.

The interior's are nothing to write home about but that's normal for a base model with crank windows. In my opinion I'd just opt for a V8 because fuel mileage couldn't be much worse, especially if you tow at all. However the V6 handles about towing a 5500lbs trailer easily day in and day out.

Also we have some 1st gen Tundra's (V6 and V8) as well. Reliability wise nothing ever ever goes wrong on these trucks. The 2006 V6 I was using had 85,000 extremely hard miles and needed nothing besides routine maintenance. We haven't had the new ones long enough but I expect them to have similar reliability.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ ry_guy - thanks for the first hand experience information. I'm leaning towards the V8 (for the same reason you gave), 4x4, and either extended or quad cab.

From the way it sounds, there aren't any major known issues to look out for. Or did I just read into that?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
There are definitely known issues with the newer 4x4 V8's and some V6's as well.

The front differential tends to whine and it gets replaced under warranty (4x4 models). The passenger side dash also might start sagging. Radios go bad. Thin paint. Wheels bearings are iffy. Rear bumpers can start to rust a bit. There is a rust recall for cold weather states I believe and a TSB for the front differential whine.

Overall rock solid though and I'm not a Toyota person.

·
Registered
23,319 Posts
@ ry_guy - thanks for the first hand experience information. I'm leaning towards the V8 (for the same reason you gave), 4x4, and either extended or quad cab.

From the way it sounds, there aren't any major known issues to look out for. Or did I just read into that?
One minor thing that might not be immediately apparent: the 4.7-liter V8 (offered through 2009) has a timing belt that needs to be changed every 90k. (It is a truckified version of the original Lexus V8.)

The 4.0 V6, 5.7 V8 and new 4.6 V8 all have chains.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thankfully I'm no longer in a coldweather state, so I don't have to worry too much about rust :D Unless I make a trip to northern AZ to play in the snow.

I found a '10 SR5 TRD Off-Road with 26k for $32,500. Anything in particular to look out for that year? Doesn't say what engine it has in it though.
LINK
For that price, I could almost buy a new one (by almost I mean +$6k). :screwy: Or does the Tacoma hold its value that well?

·
Registered
'20 Telluride, '22 Santa Fe PHEV, '07 Airstream
11,190 Posts
Before you make judgments on whether it is "big," drive one. The 2nd-gen Tundra feels a lot bigger to drive than the current-gen Silverado (I'm assuming that's the Chevy you drove). More ponderous handling, stiffer ride, higher climb into the cab. The 5.7-liter is a wonderful engine though.

There are typically good incentives on trucks, so you should check the actual transaction price of a new one vs a used one.

Tom

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Thankfully I'm no longer in a coldweather state, so I don't have to worry too much about rust :D Unless I make a trip to northern AZ to play in the snow.

I found a '10 SR5 TRD Off-Road with 26k for $32,500. Anything in particular to look out for that year? Doesn't say what engine it has in it though.
LINK
For that price, I could almost buy a new one (by almost I mean +$6k). :screwy: Or does the Tacoma hold its value that well?
The Tundras hold their value pretty well, and since it's under warranty (maybe CPO as well?) It won't be much cheaper then new. 2010 is also the facelift so they may be adding that on to the "demand" to up the price a bit.

As mentioned above, I'd drive one to determine if it feels big. It drives the same as any other fullsize truck to me. It has a firm ride, but nothing out of the ordinary. Tundra frames are pretty stiff and the TRD shocks don't help this. One of the bigger complaints from owners has been the bed bounce. With the 2010 trucks, you shouldn't have this issue as Toyota issued a TSB for rear cab mounts to be upgraded that now come standard.

We bought our '08 Crew Max (SR5 and TRD packages) with CPO in the summer of 2009 No problems to report and absolutely love the truck. The only maintenance has been oil changes and I swapped out the serp belt and tensioner that was making some noise at 45k. Easy trucks to work on (minus the goofy oil filter housing design).

Before I put on the heavy 33" mud tires, I was getting 20mpg with the 5.7L on the freeway, city was around 15. Now it's gets 15-16 freeway on the best day, average around 12-13 city.

For more info check out:

www.tundrasolutions.com
www.tundratalk.net

Both sites have lots of information as well as the current TSBs.

·
Registered
14,374 Posts
I have the new 4.6 V8 plenty of power averaged 20mpg loaded bed and everything, the 5.7 is great. They have air pump problems and its expensive but i think they extended the warranty to like 150k on those. Dont get a 4.7 then you will have to deal with timing belts. I work on these daily, rear wheel bearings go out but pretty rare, front diff noise pretty rare only have done 2-3 since they came out, radios suck otherwise great trucks

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to wake an old thread...anyone know if you can squeeze a duramax motor and allison transmission into one of these?

Not that the Chevy 2500HD looks bad, but I like the way the Tundra looks (between the current models anyway).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.