VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Teaching someone stick on a new car, bad idea?

829 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  c1gti 
#1 ·
Here's the deal, I'm having an '02 Jetta GLS 1.8T (5spd manual) delivered in a few months and need to teach my girlfriend how to drive a manual.
We both drive auto's right now (me a Jeep, I am dying to get the dub, trust me). I don't mind teaching her, but should the idea of teaching her on my shiny new Jetta make me cringe, or is it really not a big deal? I have no real gauge for the amount of damage that can be done by learning stick on a car, especially a brand new one in this case.
Thanks for your help!
-Dave

#4 ·
Re: Teaching someone stick on a new car, bad idea? (Bodyboarder999)

A) Get a rental for the weekend so she can learn the basics.
B) Once she is semi confident let her drive the new car. It might be a good idea to wait until after the break in period, but she really won't do much damage. (My old car had 4 people learn stick on it and I never had to replace the clutch - ~75,000mi when I traded it in.)
C) Enjoy the single life again. Very few relationships can survive teaching stick. If yours does, marry her.

#6 ·
Re: Teaching someone stick on a new car, bad idea? (rbenjami)

quote:[HR][/HR]A) Get a rental for the weekend so she can learn the basics.
B) Once she is semi confident let her drive the new car. It might be a good idea to wait until after the break in period, but she really won't do much damage. (My old car had 4 people learn stick on it and I never had to replace the clutch - ~75,000mi when I traded it in.)
C) Enjoy the single life again. Very few relationships can survive teaching stick. If yours does, marry her.[HR][/HR]​
I'm digging this theory, especially part C haha. Do many places rent cars w/stick in 'em? From experience all I've ever gotten is auto's i.e. on vacation, trips.
Thanks for the great input everyone!

#7 ·
Re: Teaching someone stick on a new car, bad idea? (SilverTurbo)

quote:[HR][/HR]
C) Enjoy the single life again. Very few relationships can survive teaching stick. If yours does, marry her.[HR][/HR]​
When my girlfriend 4-wheel drifted her Focus wagon through a set of lights to beat the red, I knew I would marry her.

#8 ·
Re: Teaching someone stick on a new car, bad idea? (NorthBoraT)

I learned on an older car first a BMW 528. I only drove the BMW a few times. When I got my Golf it was a totally different experience. You should just teach her on the new car. Just take her to a big flat parking lot first
Good luck with the new car.

#9 ·
Re: Teaching someone stick on a new car, bad idea? (boobert)

this is how to teach her without killing your car. tell her to push the clutch in and slowly let it out. don't even touch the gas. once the car starts rolling go even slower, pull the clutch all the way out witout stalling. make her do that about 10 times. then introduce the gas pedal. its honestly the best way to learn stick. other than beating the bag out of the car.

#10 ·
Re: Teaching someone stick on a new car, bad idea? (boobert)

i read this here on the vortex, and had to try it out myself. If i put my 2002 drive by wire 1.8T in first on a flat, and let the clutch out, the car will not stall. The computer will give it enought gas to keep it going, just for grins i shifted to second, again no gas, and the car still went. The computer makes this thing so easy to drive stick. Would be real easy to learn on, but would spoil anyone for driving another manual. Another thing, when you let off the gas the car doesnt slow down like a normal manual because the throttle closes slowly. Just make sure you break it in nicely before letting someone learn on it.

#11 ·
Re: Teaching someone stick on a new car, bad idea? (enginerd)

hmm, thanks for that nugget enginerd . I'll definitely break the car in first (1,000 miles?)..... then maybe it will be pretty easy to teach her on the '02 1.8T. Sounds like it will be a lot easier if it won't stall being let out in 1st.
Thanks again!

#12 ·
Re: Teaching someone stick on a new car, bad idea? (enginerd)

i think the rental car would be the way to go, so you don't risk yours until she is more confident.
another good trick, when i taught myself one late night years ago - go to an empty parking lot and have her alternately back in and drive in each parking space in a row. the hardest thing to learn is control of the clutch, after that shifting between gears is easier!
good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.