VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1526 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Picked this up yesterday.

Averaged a hand calculated 20.4mpg at 85-90mph on the way home from Southern MA.

Plenty more of this to come. It runs great for bone stock w/170k miles, but I'm thinking cam by the end of summer.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
That looks super clean for a NE truck. Wish the one I bought in Maine a few years back looked like that :laugh:
They all look better in pictures. I'll be repairing rust on the hood, rockers, and tailgate this summer.

Only paid five thou

·
Registered
208 Posts
I threw a Corsa Xtreme on the GT350 and it sounds even more glorious than the factory exhaust! Eventually I'll get a sound clip.

I also added the GT350R splitter and the Ford Performance suspension:

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,401 Posts

Averaged a hand calculated 20.4mpg at 85-90mph on the way home from Southern MA.

Plenty more of this to come. It runs great for bone stock w/170k miles, but I'm thinking cam by the end of summer.

Those L33's run great!

I'm gonna assume you've got some low 3.xxx gears for that kind of mileage, or the tires are relatively small.

Running 285/70R17's the best I could get at 95-100MPH coming back from Dallas last year was only 14MPG. :laugh: :laugh:

I had 3.73 gears, have fun with it man. To be honest with some bushings/new suspension they handle quite well for what they are, despite what people will say. Also, a cam and a tune will blow your mind.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Those L33's run great!

I'm gonna assume you've got some low 3.xxx gears for that kind of mileage, or the tires are relatively small.

Running 285/70R17's the best I could get at 95-100MPH coming back from Dallas last year was only 14MPG. :laugh: :laugh:

I had 3.73 gears, have fun with it man. To be honest with some bushings/new suspension they handle quite well for what they are, despite what people will say. Also, a cam and a tune will blow your mind.
3.42 gears on oem size tires. My friend in his '09 with 3.73s got 14 too on this same trip haha. Ordered a set of Rancho shocks. They were cheap. Couldn't afford Bilsteins or anything

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I threw a Corsa Xtreme on the GT350 and it sounds even more glorious than the factory exhaust! Eventually I'll get a sound clip.

I also added the GT350R splitter and the Ford Performance suspension:

god i'd like to hear that! - thoughts on the suspension too as i'm looking at it as well.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Sometimes old 'Murican V8s need maintenance. This mess began when I decided to replace some ugly rusted mild steel intake manifold bolts with stainless ARP fasteners. As soon as I put a wrench on the first bolt coolant started seeping out around the shank which isn't supposed to happen. I ended up pulling the intake and replacing the gaskets with better parts which required 3.5 hours of gasket scraping while standing on the bumper. Fun!

Slippery slope by willtel, on Flickr

Once I got it back together I commenced with week long coolant flush to clean out the nasty water jackets from coolant that had been ignored far too long. I flushed and captured 17 gallons of coolant before I felt it was clean enough to flush the rest into nature. After 45 minutes of idling with the radiator petcock open and a hose running into to the coolant filler things started running clear. To keep a better eye on the condition of the coolant I put a Pyrex tube in the upper radiator hose. I stopped short of adding the LED light kit to illuminate the clear hose. Now I have bright green coolant I've always envied!

Hose by willtel, on Flickr

·
Registered
1964 turbo corvair, 1976 bmw 2002, 1998 bmw 328is, 2001 corvette, 2001 bmw X5 5spd
4,367 Posts
found out there is a GM performance shopped that moved in damn near my backyard. and today they were having a dyno day. so i took the 2002 and the corvette for fun. corvette blew my freaking mind as it put down 343 whp and 360 tq. im pretty sure the dyno was reading high but unless it was off by over 50 hp im still shocked at the # it put down

Untitled by tim wilson, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I have had a 100% failure rate with those Felsuck gaskets with the blue "Salvador Dali Melting Clock" seal ring.

My choice, OEM paper gaskets with a thin smear of permatex "the Right Stuff". Never had it fail.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Just picked up a one owner, less than 100k miles, identical to your color combo...2006 Sierra Nevada Edition
Fixing rockers as we speak---inners and outers. (driven in Ontario's salt belt)
fender lips solid as well as door bottoms.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I have had a 100% failure rate with those Felsuck gaskets with the blue "Salvador Dali Melting Clock" seal ring.

My choice, OEM paper gaskets with a thin smear of permatex "the Right Stuff". Never had it fail.
I used FEL-1250S3 this time which have a steel core and are supposed to be better than the old ones that were on there. Are those the ones you used that failed?

·
Registered
93 Posts
found out there is a GM performance shopped that moved in damn near my backyard. and today they were having a dyno day. so i took the 2002 and the corvette for fun. corvette blew my freaking mind as it put down 343 whp and 360 tq. im pretty sure the dyno was reading high but unless it was off by over 50 hp im still shocked at the # it put down

Untitled by tim wilson, on Flickr

What shop/company? Seems a little generous (you're intake, headers and exhaust right?) but nice numbers for a C5.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A little G8, GTO and Chevy SS thing we had going on in DC this past weekend. Don't really like the music choice but the youtuber is a cool guy and he cuts the music quite a few times so you can hear the bald eagles. My car is in the video a few times, wish I would have met up with this group to get some cool rolling shots. I'm from north eastern MD so I intercepted a group from PA, NJ and DE and we cruised down to DC together.

1301 - 1320 of 1526 Posts