VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
16,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
thanks for all the work!!!
I have at least 2 of these to do... Done 020 without any probs or major special tools so this looks relatively easy

jeres a gallery on swapping an 02A in an A2 in case anybody wants'needs that. http://www.hotdub.com/pictures...um=35

BTW loaded all the pix on my hardrive... just in case!!
and here's a link to the component teardown by Pashat:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2907820

Modified by OhioBenz at 12:53 PM 12-9-2007
Good Stuff in that link
A link to guide on transmission tear down and reassembly: http://www.vwmotorsport.com/vwtech/gears/mt_02A_overhaul.pdf

here is a link to my photo album with the full size pictures: http://share.shutterfly.com/share/r...ZtXDdy5ashy&imageIndex=0&fid=b4943663045f5585

Step 1: remove tranny oil before beginning

Step 2: remove output flanges with bolt from tranny case(threaded all the down shaft)

Step 3 remove shift tower and bottom cap/guide. remove 13mm bolts and then heat the area around the sealant with a torch(propane) and then smack with a piece of wood and hammer the cap and shift tower from the side to spin them. There are indents on the cap and tower to do this

It should be noted that when switching shift towers that there are differances to note. The G60 and later VR6 shift towers have differnt thickness shafts and when swapping them you need to swap out the bottom cap/guide:

Step 4: Remove all the 13mm bolts and nuts inside the bell housing area

Step 5: remove the 5th gear cover. and then you will need to remove the 5th gear syncro/hub assebmly with a gear puller. then you will need to pull the 5th gear off. Make certain you do not press on the end of the shaft directly. I screw in an allen bolt to center the gear puller

I have had to grind the prongs on the gear puller to fit between the case and the 5th gear. This one is from sears and I have not chipped a tooth yet on 5th gear but I've seen a VW tech chip some teeth before using the actual VW tool

Pulling the 5th gear:
I pulled my DZSL SLC's 5th gear last night and it was easy but I've done it several times now. Last night I modified my craftsman gear puller a little more and I think I have made it very simple to do everytime now. Also I will add that I applied heat with a heat gun for a few minutes after I had the gear puller in place and ready to crank away.

Step 6: remove the shift linkage pivot points 2 on top and 2 on the bottom

Step 7 remove the reverse bolts. the 1st is on the bottom almost in between the linkage pivot points and the other it inside the 5th gear end case

Step 8 remove all the 13mm bolts on the differential end of the case

Step 9 take a block of wood and hammer and separate the case halfs and lift the case off

Step 10:Lift away the sfift linkage assembly

Step 11:Unbolt the reverse linkage and remove the reverse shaft

Step 12: lift out the input shaft

step 13 lift out the pinion shaft and now the diff and now you have completed taking your tranny apart or at least down to the sub assemblies
[/
Drilling out rivot heads

now pounding them out (I should have just used an air hammer
I've done this twice now and not thought of it until a tech recomended it
)

3rd gear syncro is destroyed and the syncronizer hub dropped a catch(dog)

the left overs of the 3rd gear syncro and hub

This is not enough info to properly install a LSD because there is shimming/back spacing involved due to the installation of new bearings and races but it should give you an idea of what is involved. I'm a little concerned about showing hwat I did as I don't want to be hounded with questions but I guess I'm a glutten for punishment

Modified by G60ING at 2:08 PM 3-21-2004

Modified by G60ING at 2:10 PM 3-21-2004

Modified by G60ING at 7:49 PM 11-11-2007

Modified by G60ING at 7:51 PM 11-11-2007

Modified by G60ING at 7:59 PM 11-11-2007

Modified by G60ING at 8:00 PM 11-11-2007

Modified by G60ING at 8:16 PM 11-11-2007

Modified by G60ING at 8:19 PM 11-11-2007

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Re: tearing an 02A/O2A tranny down to its sub assemblies (G60ING)

WOW
I almost want to take mine apart and overhaul it. Can I blame you if I can't get it back together

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

Any special clearance or backlash checks that need to be done during re-assembly?
I've got three gearboxes to go through and need some insight into whats needed for parts or tooling. Thiis post has helped. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: tearing an 02A/O2A tranny down to its sub assemblies (1.8TsyncroB3)

quote:[HR][/HR]Any special clearance or backlash checks that need to be done during re-assembly?
I've got three gearboxes to go through and need some insight into whats needed for parts or tooling. Thiis post has helped. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
Yes you need to be concerned with the preloads on the bearings. I do not know how to do this as I leave that to my tranny guy. But that is what determines the amount of noise from the tranny after final assembly and also how long the bearings will last

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

If you get a chance to photo document the checks and re-assembly, it would be a nice finishing touch to this thread! Time to start negociating with your tranny guy!

·
Registered
16,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: tearing an 02A/O2A tranny down to its sub assemblies (1.8TsyncroB3)

Quote, originally posted by 1.8TsyncroB3 »
If you get a chance to photo document the checks and re-assembly, it would be a nice finishing touch to this thread! Time to start negociating with your tranny guy!

Its not overly difficult but it does require patience, tools and knowledge. Sorry I won't be providing these pics

·
Forum Elder
14,571 Posts

Quote, originally posted by G60ING »
Its not overly difficult but it does require patience, tools and knowledge. Sorry I won't be providing these pics

About $800 in tools just to get you in the door....ask me how I know.

That's just for the VW specific tools that are a must have. The VAG 1582 is under $100, it's the attachments that are BIG $$$.
To buy every tool (about 50) in the Bentley manual tranny section is about $2500-$3000.

·
Forum Elder
14,571 Posts

Position is key. Funny though, I did the same thing with my ground down puller. Need to make sure the jaws are spread apart enough so that the "hook" lays flat under the gear if not a little turned up. When it starts to pull, the tension starts to change the angle at which it grabs the gear more towards the end of the gear tooth and ends up chipping it off. Good thing the 6-speed kit came with a new shorter 5th.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Re: tearing an 02A/O2A tranny down to its sub assemblies (SLC4EVER)

You can also be a cheap ass and remove 5th gear with an air hammer on the shaft and a prybar under the gear. Takes about 5 seconds and costs about $40 for the air hammer. You can just thread a bolt into the shaft so you don't screw it up. A Porche tech showed me that one (kinda scary huh?).

·
Forum Elder
14,571 Posts
Re: tearing an 02A/O2A tranny down to its sub assemblies (pimpshignitty)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

And just why isn't this in the FAQ thread? Hmmm???
(nice work, thanks)
Ron

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote, originally posted by G60ING »
because if we make it too easy people will be tearing aprt their trannys and then wondering how to reassemble them.
I don't mind helping to a dregree but soome people should not be allowed to pick up tools and use them.

HAHA VERY true...
GREAT thread... The pictures are very helpful. Is there some kind of manual that goes into the details of this procedure? Bently doesn't even go into the transmission for MKIV's ... I would like to know how to check all the preloads and clearances..
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Great thread.. thanks alot.

·
Forum Elder
14,571 Posts
Re: tearing an 02A/O2A tranny down to its sub assemblies (QuickDub)

Bentley for the Corrado's does. Read all the "Caution" and "Note" statements very carefully. Some of them are kind of confusing.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Re: tearing an 02A/O2A tranny down to its sub assemblies (SLC4EVER)

When pulling the 5th gear, Heat the gear with an electric heat gun till the gear is around 200F, this expands it and quite possibly the gear will simply slide off the shaft with little to no effort. Installation is the same, heat and it drops right on! Those that have tried it without heating sometimes end up chipping a tooth regardless of the quality of puller used.
To determine the temp simply get an infared thermometer from Sears or an auto parts store.
Measuring pre-load is simple...sort of. Install the bearing race WITHOUT a shim. put the cast together with a few bolts and measure the in and out play on the shaft being shimmed. Measure off the amount of play and determine how much to take it all up then add extra per the Bentley manual to place a load on the bearing, this prevents the bearing from walking side to side and keeps uniform pressure on shaft keeping it cenetered in the case. Pull the bearing race out and install the oversize shim then reinstall the bearing race, pre-load is now set.
All you really need to do this is a simple dial indicator and a holding block of some sort. Notto mention a bunch of shims or if you have the patience, just order them as you need them.
Great write up!
DB

·
Registered
6,049 Posts

I wish the 020 came apart like that.. would have made it a little easier but the pinion shaft is bolted to the case under first gear. I will be taking an 02A apart soon to prep it for LSD install but am leaving the preloads to a pro. Good info.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Re: tearing an 02A/O2A tranny down to its sub assemblies (evolveVW)

Do you know the bearing preload in milimetres and the final turning torque required? Should be in the Bentley...
thanks
D

1 - 20 of 91 Posts