VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I've decided to get back into the Mk3 scene. I've got a Jetta 2.0 OBD2 thats been sitting for almost a year, and its time to get it cleaned up and running again so we can have some fun. Don't have any plans on upgrading anything, just want to maintain for now and then we'll see about going the performance route.

So far:

Had to jump it to get it to start. Once we did we took it around the neighborhood and when the engine got hot it started smoking from the engine bay. It doesn't smell like anything is burning, it appears to be coolant which has leaked onto the transmission.

Had a buddy tech take a look at it. Appears to be coolant leaking from a cracked fitting (in the picture: Where the white plug is inserted and all those hoses connect to it) from the engine block. Furthermore, this fitting seems to be taking a beating from the oil dripping onto it from above, so it appears that the gasket is bad on the manifold (in the picture: you'll notice all that oil grime, seems like a direct result of oil leak).

So here are the questions (after much searching of course):
1. Does this sound like something that happens often? As in, are these problems common and am I misdiagnosing the problem when it could be something else altogether? Also, can you help me name this fitting? I can't find it and I sound like a moron calling it the thing that sticks into the engine. :rolleyes:

2. The engine has a lot of clicks and pings and rattles after sitting for a year. Is this my imagination because I am not used to hearing a 13 year old car run, or could this be the direct result of using 1 year old gasoline? Reading through the search, it seems as though most people just put in 93 octane and octane booster to get through this rough patch, or is there something else thou shall recommend?

3. Saw a lot of VW parts websites listed on FAQ. Any specific recommendations? A few years back when I was much more active with this car I used to order parts and supplies from ECS and from GAP. I haven't kept up with this, so your best recommendations I would appreciate. I plan on purchasing: Coolant, gasket and that so far unknown fitting.

Picture: (I hope this helps to visual my questions)

Thank you for looking. The vortex has always been a great place to community support and I've never forgotten it. Let me know if I need to provide more information. Thanks again guys. :beer:

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most likely the head coolant flange. Notourious for cracking as they are made of plastic. $10 fix.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Golf/Cooling/117/7

Thanks, i'll jump on that. I'll keep everyone updated.

Yeah tht sounds about right. They are cheap and easy to fix. As far as the gas, put a can of sea foam in it. Its what I do with my motorcycle after its been sitting.

Sea Foam... duh! I can't believe I forgot about Sea Foam. I graduated from Sea Foam U when Vortex taught me how to run it through my intake. Thanks buddy, that should work out awesome!

Thanks again for the replies everyone. I'll give this a go and see how it all works out.
:beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.