VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simply put, does anyone have the external size of the W12 engine? I have tried to guess, and even attempted to convince a dealership to let me measure the engine with a tape measure
, but now I've resigned to go to the source? David, can you help?

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Re: Technical Question: W12 Engine Dimensions (NismoManRB26)

Here's a view you won't see looking down from the top.

Phaeton’s W12 engine has a reliable, highly compact design: 21 inches long, 28 inches high and 27 inches wide. The W12 features a torsion-proof aluminum crankcase with durable cylinder walls, and its consistent lightweight construction is enhanced by a magnesium valve cover and a double-flow magnesium intake manifold. The W12 engine layout utilizes a wet sump lubrication system and consists of two very small 15-degree V6 modules laid out at a 72-degree angle, plus a shared seven-bearing crankshaft, all fitting neatly in a double-V arrangement – thus its W namesake. This concept results in an ultra-compact design, compared to a normal V12 engine.
The stacked cylinder arrangement, combined with the cylinder/bank angle, also results in the W12’s unusually highly rigid crankcase, where split pins are displaced by 12 degrees to one another due to the bank angle, allowing uniform ignition intervals.
The W12 engine has a proven track record of performance and stability at the race track in Nardo, Italy, where it helped set numerous international speed records powering Volkswagen’s specially built W12 sports car.

Modified by Paldi at 7:57 PM 4-30-2005

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

I don't know which David you are referring to but I can tell you this: This David has not a clue as it is impossible to even see my engine with all the covering over it. I wish I could help but it is hard to measure something like an engine with such an uneven shape. You really would have to ask VW personnel to get exact measurements. Michael may could get these stats as he goes back to Dresden sometime soon.
Sorry I couldn't help but if I could I would

·
Registered
21,490 Posts

Hello Alton:
Welcome to the Phaeton forum.
The W12 engine (BAN, BAP specification) is 513 mm long, 710 mm wide, 715 mm high, and weighs 245 kilograms dry. It will not fit into any VW brand product other than a Phaeton or Touareg.
Michael

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Re: Technical Question: W12 Engine Dimensions (izzo)

No, that photo above is a Photoshop, and a poor one at that.
There is no possible way you could physically fit a W12 into a Golf or Jetta platform. The engine is simply too wide. On my Phaeton, there is less than an inch of clearance between the shock absorbers and fender will and the side of the block on either side of the engine. Have a look at the photo of the W12 in the Audi A8 below, and the W12 in my Phaeton below, and use your own common sense.
Keep in mind also that the driveline connections are made from the transmission to the front axle, not from the engine. If you put a W12 in a Golf or Jetta, the front wheels would have to be relocated to where the front doors are on that body.
Michael
W12 in Phaeton

W12 in Audi

W12 on shipping pallet (note width of the block, under the air intakes!)

·
Registered
25,797 Posts
The W12 engine (BAN, BAP specification) is 513 mm long, 710 mm wide, 715 mm high, and weighs 245 kilograms dry. It will not fit into any VW brand product other than a Phaeton or Touareg.
Michael

The W12 is smaller than the Audi / VW 4.2 V8 and will fit into any car the 4.2 came in. So yes- not 'VW brand' - the W12 will even fit in a little Audi A4 (note the RS4 had the 4.2 V8).

A4, A5, A6, R8, Gallardo, Spyker could all have a W12 if someone wanted to.

·
Registered
4x W12, 1x V8
1,298 Posts
There's a VW Lupo in Germany that is running TWO W12s, one in front and one in the back and he got them in a transverse layout!! Total hack job and not street legal but looks unreal.
Lupo with Two W12 Engines Update – Engine Swap Depot

Of course there's also the one of a kind Golf GTI W12 with a twin-turbo W12 from the Bentley that was built by VW for the famous GTI car show in Austria.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have to say, having recently taken apart a Bentley Continental gt, there is nothing small about this engine. Subframe mount to subframe mount, shes about 40". From the outter edge of each head...about 30"...and thats not the widest part.

A 6.2L LS from an escalade is only 20" by the same comparison, head to head, which is the widest part.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Youre not wrong there. I think, for me anyway, the w12 may be compact for a 12...but its not compact for its output?

We actually intend to put dual Honda K20Z3 turbos in the bentley...one at each end. Itll still be awd, make at least twice what the bentley did reliably and weigh half as much as the w12 drivetrain.

If we ever get back to it, that is. Never seems to be time for fun stuff anymore.

·
Registered
25,797 Posts
W12 could make a LOT more hp if they wanted to, no problem. It’s all down to application- very quiet, very smooth, crazy tq at low rpm.

If someone wanted to hot rod one- open up the intake and exhaust- you would see what 6.0L 48v can do.

For comparison my MK4 R32 which is a 3.2 24v VR6, essentially the same head design as the W12 produced about 335hp when I got done playing with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
There's a VW Lupo in Germany that is running TWO W12s, one in front and one in the back and he got them in a transverse layout!! Total hack job and not street legal but looks unreal.
Lupo with Two W12 Engines Update – Engine Swap Depot

Of course there's also the one of a kind Golf GTI W12 with a twin-turbo W12 from the Bentley that was built by VW for the famous GTI car show in Austria.
So then a double-double-U-twelve? 😂 That Lupo is insane. Kinda like Pippi Longstocking said, "I've never done it before, so I can probably do it".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts