VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone, I want to tone down my Techtonics exhaust a little. I love the sound of it, but have started to do a-lot of highway driving, and the drone at 2800 - 3000 rpm is killing me. I have a few thoughts and wanted some feedback. I am currently running the 2.5" stainless borla with the exposed tip (NON 4-motion valence). I was wondering if I could install a 4-motion valence, and then weld in place a baffeled exhaust tip. The guys at TT said to use their twin tip polished full stainless tip (with dual venturies). My only concern is that my current exposed tip already has a venturi, and the drone is there. Is anyone running this tip, and if so is it reasonably quiet?
Has anyone run a different (baffeled) muffler with the GTI VR6 set up? And also, the system is 3 years old, do you think the Borla straight through muffler I am running needs to be replaced? I bought the entire system used (just an FYI).
Thanks Everyone

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Re: Techtonics Tone-Down...HELP (Larrys' GTI)

I had the Dual round Tip with Venturis and it really did make a huge difference (Pretty well eliminated the drone at highway speeds). My only pet peeve with it was that I didn't have the 4-motion valence and I could not stand the way it looked hanging down under the valence. Get the 4-motion valence and it should look OK.
If you want to keep your TT Exhaust and don't want to have to live with the drone get the tip with venturis. The only thing with it is that it changes the nice TT sound a bit (the car don't sound quite as good from outside).
As for the Muffler, Borla mufflers get a little louder after the first month or so but after that they stay the same, so I don't think it would need to be replaced. A lot of people say that the Flowmaster muffler that TT uses on their Aluminized system is a bit quieter that the Borla. The Flowmaster also is claimed to make more power as well. The Flowmaster along with the Tip and the thing should be pretty damn liveable.
Jamie

·
Registered
178 Posts
buy a resonator off someone with a milltek exhaust. Some people are replacing them with a straight pipe for better sound/performance. I don't know if your system already has a resonator but it's an idea. It would install between the cat and the muffler. Good luck on quieting it down a bit.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
apply slight pressure to your gas pedal untill the droning stops and then throw on cruise control when the noise is quiet and it will stay quiet... Another option is to sound deaden your trunk, it could be cheaper then replacing the muffler and / or tip.

·
Banned
32,385 Posts
Re: (5.0 eater)

From one Larry to another...
I hae the TT cat back with Borla, 4-motion rear valence, and did have their (TT) dual round outlet w/venturies.
It really made no difference......I then replace it with a Monza dual venturie unti which was a little quieter, but not much.
I also still have the dredded drone @ approx 2800, and yeah it's intollerable ont he highway drives....
Sopke w/Jeff @ TT recently and they are working on a fix, but nothing as yet.
I am planing on experimenting with a few different mufflers to see what I can do to bring the noise down a bit....
BTW - going from the under car to the pass thruough valence will make a HUGE difference in the amount of noise, as the seems to reverberate betweent he underside of the car, and the ground.
Good luck, and I'll post-up if I find a good replacement mufflet, otherwise, I'll probably go Milltek...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts