VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've seen these getting cheaper on the used market. Anyone have experience?
I'm graduating in the summer, and I'm getting a little tired of driving my ratty old Civic. It sucks for long trips and I spend a couple hours a day in it. I really like Hondas, and I guess I'm looking for something a little less rattling tin can-ish and a litle more grown-up.
An Integra would be too much like my car now, and I'm not dumb enough to drive an ITR in the city. RSX-Ss are too expensive and I don't really like the looks. I like the EP Si hatch, but they're a little goofy looking and more expensive than the Preludes I've seen.
Anyway, I won't be in a position to buy anything for another year or two, so just day-dreaming really. How do they compare to other Honda cars? Do they feel more substantial than the typical Civic?

·
Registered
S2000, G70 6MT, i3 REX, Odyssey Touring Elite
16,750 Posts
If anyone is interested in one, my co-worker's bone stock '00 SH will be coming up for sale in a few months.
It's a relatively heavy car, but doesn't feel like it behind the wheel. Noisy on the highway, and it definitely needs a 6th gear. 75 MPH is something ridiculous like 3500 RPM. But that motor...oh man it makes all the right noises. VTEC engagement is nothing short of violent, and when it does, hold on tight.
Handling is superb, especially accelerating through a corner with the ATTS. They are also super-reliable, and quite comfortable. The trunk is somewhat small, but the seats fold down allowing a bike to fit in the back.
At 120k miles, my co-worker's car is still as tight and rattle-free as a new car. It's certianly not as refined as, say, a Mazda 3 or even a Mk3 VW, but that's all part of the charm.
Overall, a great car. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by GTI 20v at 6:47 PM 11-1-2006

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Re: (GTI 20v)

Quote, originally posted by GTI 20v »
If anyone is interested in one, my co-worker's bone stock '00 SH will be coming up for sale in a few months.
It's a relatively heavy car, but doesn't feel like it behind the wheel. Noisy on the highway, and it definitely needs a 6th gear. 75 MPH is something ridiculous like 3500 RPM. But that motor...oh man it makes all the right noises. VTEC engagement is nothing short of violent, and when it does, hold on tight.
Handling is superb, especially accelerating through a corner with the ATTS. They are also super-reliable, and quite comfortable. The trunk is somewhat small, but the seats fold down allowing a bike to fit in the back.
At 120k miles, my co-worker's car is still as tight and rattle-free as a new car. It's certianly not as refined as, say, a Mazda 3 or even a Mk3 VW, but that's all part of the charm.

Modified by GTI 20v at 6:47 PM 11-1-2006

I wonder what he'll end up asking/getting considering the mileage...

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Re: Tell me about: The 5th-gen (1997-2001) Honda Prelude (AndrewTosh)

as long as its in good shape, get it and you wont regret it. unlike most hondas, it has torque and has (IMO) a higher build quality than the Civics.

·
Registered
S2000, G70 6MT, i3 REX, Odyssey Touring Elite
16,750 Posts
Re: (bugatti212)

Quote, originally posted by bugatti212 »

I wonder what he'll end up asking/getting considering the mileage...

It's a good question. Considering the car looks literally showroom clean inside and out, and has never been modified in any way short of a K&N panel filter, I would expect around $9-10K. What do you think?

·
Registered
Audi S4, e-Tron, and a Toyota appliance
17,105 Posts
Re: Tell me about: The 5th-gen (1997-2001) Honda Prelude (AndrewTosh)

I used to own a 2000 five-speed(non-SH). It's faster than a stock Integra GS-R and Toyota Celica GT-S. Think of it as a RSX Type-S in a coupe guise, and you get the idea. Absolutely bulletproof reliable, and really cheap on gas, even though I drove it like I stole it all the time.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Re: (GTI 20v)

I don't understand these cars...
They look good (subjective), handle well, are dead reliable, are unique, etc, etc, etc... Yet they don't garner much attention, at least not as much as the Civic/Accord. Considering this is Honda's "sporty coupe", I'd think that the aftermarket would attack this car moreso than the Civic, but that isn't true.
I owned an '88 Si 4WS, and to this day I regret selling the car. From 165,000 to 249,000, I did oil changes, an air filter, and front brake pads. It was still on the original clutch. The car had no problems, ever. It was also a blast to drive, regardless of the fact that it didn't have much power. 4WS was fun in parking lots too... Crank the wheel to lock, start accelerating, and eventually the rear would begin to slide out
. I should've kept it and repaired the rusty rear arches.
I've driven 5th gens a couple times, and while they aren't as nimble as the earlier models, I'd still prefer them over a comparable Civic or Accord Coupe, even on looks alone. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
12,297 Posts
Re: (3 Money Pits)

Quote, originally posted by 3 Money Pits »
I don't understand these cars...
They look good (subjective), handle well, are dead reliable, are unique, etc, etc, etc... Yet they don't garner much attention, at least not as much as the Civic/Accord. Considering this is Honda's "sporty coupe", I'd think that the aftermarket would attack this car moreso than the Civic, but that isn't true.

Civics are cheaper alternatives, thats all. Why spend money on a car heavier than a house when you can spend money on a car thats lighter than a feather? I believe you get quite a power/weight advantage with a b18 civic than an H22 with a cam job.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
Re: (abawp)

Quote, originally posted by abawp »
Civics are cheaper alternatives, thats all. Why spend money on a car heavier than a house when you can spend money on a car thats lighter than a feather? I believe you get quite a power/weight advantage with a b18 civic than an H22 with a cam job.

Ding ding ding.
Also the Prelude was like $28,000 or something new in 1999. Even now they are still $7-14k. My G/F just bought a '97 Coupe for $3,500 with 102k miles on it. Four another 4-5k you can easily turn it into a monster that would stomp all over a stock Prelude. Preludes also get pretty dismal gasmileage, around 22mpg. Automatics where horrible. SH is not something you want to add power too, interior was very cramped with limited head room. Limited trunk space, high insurance, et al.
People want GSRs.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Re: (Corbic)

Quote, originally posted by Corbic »

Also the Prelude was like $28,000 or something new in 1999. Even now they are still $7-14k. My G/F just bought a '97 Coupe for $3,500 with 102k miles on it. Four another 4-5k you can easily turn it into a monster that would stomp all over a stock Prelude. Preludes also get pretty dismal gasmileage, around 22mpg. Automatics where horrible. SH is not something you want to add power too, interior was very cramped with limited head room. Limited trunk space, high insurance, et al.
People want GSRs.

Actually, I disagree with almost all of this. I had a '98, and I think it cost me $22,000 new. It was a non-SH; I think the SH was about $24,000.
The mileage was not bad, at least 22mpg if you were careful... that is hardly "dismal".
The automatic was not that bad. I had a 5-speed manual, but test drove an auto and it seemed like a lot of fun, all things considered.
I guess I'll agree with you on the cramped interior and high insurance, though.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (sucking chest wound)

Quote, originally posted by sucking chest wound »
Actually, I disagree with almost all of this.

Well, he's right about the Civic being cheaper to make fast. I still don't think people really compare a Civic with $5k in mods to a Prelude. One is a quick econo-car and the other is a GT-ish one.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
Re: (sucking chest wound)

Quote, originally posted by sucking chest wound »
Actually, I disagree with almost all of this. I had a '98, and I think it cost me $22,000 new. It was a non-SH; I think the SH was about $24,000.
The mileage was not bad, at least 22mpg if you were careful... that is hardly "dismal".
The automatic was not that bad. I had a 5-speed manual, but test drove an auto and it seemed like a lot of fun, all things considered.
I guess I'll agree with you on the cramped interior and high insurance, though.

Yes, but what was a Civic back then, 15k?
22mpg is dismal, Si gets like 26-28 real world. Mustang can pull off 20mpg on regular ('lude needs premium) and that is a 260hp V8.
Auto's are known to fail early and simply sap the power out of the engine. I've driven both an auto and 5spd, BIG difference.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I test drove a 01 SH before i got my GSR. The car was nice, but honeslty i think the GSR is a funner car to drive. I've always loved the Preludes but i was a little dissapointed after i drove it. This particular one even had a AEM CAI and i wasn't thilled by the performance but the ATTS definitely was noticeable.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (wESTsAEED)

Quote, originally posted by wESTsAEED »
The car was nice, but honeslty i think the GSR is a funner car to drive.

Which would you rather drive if you spent a majority of your time on the highway or in gridlock and went for occasional fun drives on curvy roads?

·
Registered
18,889 Posts
Re: (wESTsAEED)

Quote, originally posted by wESTsAEED »
but honeslty i think the GSR is a funner car to drive.

Let me know if you find that in a dictionary.
And if you dont, which you wont, please consult your grade school grammar books.
On Topic: I have always liked the looks, and I went around the block in a friend's. I dont remember much other than doing that, and given what I did, there was little time to find out how good of a car it was.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: (KrazeeKorrado13)

Its one of the best fwd handling car. Its very smooth and stable at high speeds and so much fun driving around the curves (I live in PA with all the twistys). The ride is a little harsh when driving on bumpy roads because of stiffer suspension. The weight is a little on the higher side but the power is good enough to pull it. It has a wonderfully sounding engine with vtec crossover sound to kill for. Looks are subjective but I really love how they look especially from the front. If you buy it you won't regret it.
There are good forums for it too
Paid: http://www.preludeonline.com
Free: http://www.preludepower.com

·
Banned
20,046 Posts
Me=big fan or Preludes....
However Honda had the Integra, Accord Coupe and Prelude and Civic coupe all around the same price depending on equipment levels.
THe Prelude was very expensive loaded, the guy is right , around 28k....
So Honda made the Accord coupe have more of its own sheetmetal and make it look more sporty to try to get Prelude buyers.
Prelude is a great car!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.