VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I parked next to a red one of these the other night in Palm Beach, Fl and it was insanely nice and spotless, and even had BBS RC wheels. Usually when I see them around back home they are totally clapped out. I'm looking for engine choices, years offered, driving experience, etc. Thanks

·
Registered
6,997 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Tell me about the Alfa Romeo 164 GTA (niels_dale)

Was the awd version available in the States at all? Thanks for the links.

·
Banned
12,115 Posts

Quote, originally posted by niels_dale »
Here are some good links, including owner feedback:
http://www.carsfromitaly.com/alfaromeo/index.html
http://www.carreview.com/Midsi...views
http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/
I've always loved this car...and by the later years, they were actually reliable.

BTW, there was no "GTA" edition of the 164 model.
Two things I learned recently:
-the Cd was 0.30! Pretty awesome, especially for 1987!
-there was a 4wd version as well!

1991. Nice try.
The cars were sold between 1991 and 1994, the majority being 1991 models.
FABULOUS cars, I would give body parts to have a 1994 164 Quadrifoglio.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Alfa Romeo 164 GTA (mtrainVR6)

Quote, originally posted by mtrainVR6 »
1991. Nice try.
The cars were sold between 1991 and 1994, the majority being 1991 models.

According to the first site, the 164 was first shown at the Frankfurt Auto Show in 1987. Of course, not that I want to get into "splitting hairs" with one of the Vortex gurus...

·
Registered
21,996 Posts

the 164 was a joint venture between alfa (164) saab (9000) and 2 other companies (volvo and fiat or something).
check the prices on stepper motor replacement, head gasket replacement and cost of the adjustable suspension on the S model before you decide to seriously consider purchase.
they are great cars but are not cheap or easy to maintain by any means. ymmv.

·
Banned
26,760 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Alfa Romeo 164 GTA (mtrainVR6)

Quote, originally posted by mtrainVR6 »
FABULOUS cars, I would give body parts to have a 1994 164 Quadrifoglio.

Get in line behind my Dad.
He really wants to get his hands on a clean example of one, but it's been nearly fruitless thus far. He still has a '79 Spider in the garage he has to fix first (per Mom). But they are very handsome old-school Italian luxury sport sedans. Nothing on an M5 scale, but nonetheless. Mid-size luxury touring. I hope the market for older Alfas rebounds if and when Alfa returns stateside and if and when they'll service the old stuff.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Alfa Romeo 164 GTA (Merc-MarkO)

People people, Alfa's are some of the most reliable cars I've ever experienced. I had an 86 Spider Veloce and an 87 Milano Verde (the 3 liter V-6), and these cars never ever let me down, save a water pump on the Spider. I always thought it was ironic that I used to go pick up my mom when her Subaru broke down or my stepfather when the Saturn was in the shop.......considering I was the one driving the Italian car. The sound of this engine will stir your soul, no kidding. My buddy just picked up a 93 164S based on my recommendations, and promptly crashed it 3 weeks later. (It's fixed now). The car is unreal.........makes my GTI seem sterile. I just saw a nice 164S on Ebay go for 3K. Stepper motors, power seat switches, and all sorts of minor things are stuff to watch out for, but overall........find one that's been taken care of and you'll be in good shape. Enjoy if you get one...I'd be jealous

oh and as for the question of AWD...yeah there were a few imported.......I think 100? They were the Quadrafoglio mentioned above, and they have the much more desirable 24V 6 that was in these cars from 94 up. These will still fetch about 12-14K, but surprisingly I see them up for sale a lot on autotrader or Ebay.

Modified by BeantownGTI at 6:44 AM 2-17-2004

·
Registered
2004 Jetta GLS 1.8t
841 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Alfa Romeo 164 GTA (BeantownGTI)

Alfas are as reliable as any other car. I've owned 7 of them.
The Alfa Romeo 164 was sold in the United States from 1991 through 1995.
1991 to 1993 encompassed three models:
164 (base model)
164 L (luxury model)
164 S (sport model
1994 & 1995 had two models:
164 LS (luxury/sport)
164 Quadrifoglio Verde (ultimate 164!)
Only about 75 164 Qs were imported into the united states between 1994 and 1995. About 35 each year.
They are aboslutely fantastic cars to own, drive and look at. The engine compartment alone is worthy of an art museum.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Alfa Romeo 164 GTA (GTO1)

Wow, it's strange you mention this... I just got back from Rochester, where I saw a guy pull up in a red/grey one of these. Looked a little clapped out (little rust on the hood, and the paint was dull), but still an interesting sight. Especially in the wasteland of POS American former rental cars that is Upstate NY.
Sorry I don't have any real useful information though. But hey, it's a free bump

·
Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
19,963 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Alfa Romeo 164 GTA (rockit)

Quote, originally posted by rockit »
the 164 was a joint venture between alfa (164) saab (9000) and 2 other companies (volvo and fiat or something).

Alfa 164, Lancia Thema, Saab 9000 and FIAT Croma shared platform components.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Alfa Romeo 164 GTA (MEIN_VW)

They are reliable in the eyes of an enthusiast, not the general public. I've seen more in the salvageyard than I have on the road, maybe due to parts availability because none were wrecked.

·
Registered
2004 Jetta GLS 1.8t
841 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Alfa Romeo 164 GTA (Cubster)

I'm willing to bet that statement is a gross exaggeration. It is true that I am an enthusiast. I am also a realist. I understand that Alfas need to be properly cared for but I also understand that with this care (no different than any BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Saab etc ... of similar year) they are just as reliable as any other car.
The problem of perceived reliability is due to many things:
1. People hear from somebody that they are unreliable and take this 'knowledge' as gospel when in fact it is an untrue rumor. "My Uncle once new a man that had a neighbor that had a friend that had an Alpher Romero! Damn thing kept falling apart on him. He couldn't even pull his 200 foot RV Camper with it without blowing a head gasket. Damn Far-in cars!"
2. People don't take care of Alfas and they don't take care of you. Just like ANY other car.
3. They might stand out more in Junk yards because they are so beautiful compared to ALL other cars in there, but there are VERY few of them in junkyards. VERY FEW.
Your comments seem to belong to numbers 1 and 3 above.
I have personally owned many Alfas over the years. They are ultra reliable.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Alfa Romeo 164 GTA (Quadrifoglio)

a 1992 V6 turbo is my daily driver in italy when i go there. Interior falls apart, but it's one hell of an engine.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Alfa Romeo 164 GTA (Manu44)

The 164 Quadrofoglio is not the AWD version. It's merely the top-of-the-line version. The 164 Q4 is the AWD version, and it was never imported to the United States.
164's aren't so bad on the reliability scale, honestly. The only real problems are electrical - lots of gremlins there (relays go, wires lose grounding), and the A/C system. The blower motor is the problem. It breaks and you've got no A/C or heat, and you have to take alot of stuff apart to get to it - the labor is quite intensive.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Had one --- major torque steer-- lotsa class tho ---I have a '91 Spider Veloce now since !/26/95 -hasn't lost much value - 34K miles

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Alfa Romeo 164 GTA (Taimar2)

Quote, originally posted by Taimar2 »
164's aren't so bad on the reliability scale, honestly.

IIRC from talking to some Alfisti, the build quality on the final two years was considerably better vs. their predecessors.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts