VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I had lunch with some co workers, one of which was visiting from Europe. We got on the topic of cars and he mentioned he has a 2006 320Si back in his home country. He mentioned it was basically a car sold to satisfy homologation rules for racing - but I can't seem to find much specific info on it.

What are the specs on it? What sets it apart from a typical 3-series? Pics?

I seem to have found pics of it in racing trim:

· Registered
1,046 Posts
a quick google turned up this:

Hot on the heels of Team BMW UK's Andy Priaulx claiming the FIA World Touring Car Championship, BMW has announced details of a limited-edition version of BMW's 2006 World Touring Car - the new BMW 320si Saloon.

Designed to comply with FIA homologation regulations, only 2,600 cars will be sold worldwide. All feature a hand-built four-cylinder engine made at BMW's engine plant at Hams Hall, near Coventry. The high revving 2.0-litre unit delivers 173hp at 7,000rpm (before reaching its red line at 7,300rpm) and 200Nm of torque at 4,250rpm.

This engine powers the BMW from zero to 62mph in 8.1 seconds and, if left unchecked, onto a top speed of 140mph. Although inspired by the racetrack, the car still delivers 31.7mpg on the combined cycle and conforms to the EU4 emissions regulations.

This high level of performance has been achieved using BMW's motorsport technology. Compared with the 'standard' BMW 320i, the engine has been significantly modified with larger induction and exhaust valves to increase airflow. The cylinder bore has increased by 1mm to 85mm while the stroke has been reduced by 2mm to 88mm.

The compression ratio of the engine has also been increased from 10.5:1 to 11.0:1, helping to boost power by 23hp over the 320i. Additionally, instead of running with grey-cast-iron cylinder liners, the pistons run in special aluminium-alloy liners in the cylinder block. Engineers have also decided to remove BMW's patented VALVETRONIC induction system, reverting to a conventional throttle due to the higher engine speeds demanded by a racing engine.

In a direct link with BMW's motorsport programmes, the cylinder head is cast at BMW's Landshut foundry alongside Formula One engine blocks. Additionally, to save approximately 10kgs of weight and lower the car's centre of gravity, the cylinder head cover is made of carbon fibre.

The new BMW 320si mates its high levels of performance with World Touring Car looks. The specification of the 320si is based on the 3 Series M Sport model that includes front and rear aerodynamic body styling, sports seats, sports suspension and aluminium interior trim. Additionally, the BMW 320si features Touring Car-style alloy wheels with BMW Motorsport motif. The front wheels are 8J x 18 fitted with 225/40 R18 tyres while at the rear the 8.5J x 18 wheels are fitted with 255/35 R18 tyres. Finally, mirror caps finished in satin chrome differentiate the car from a standard 3 Series.

· Registered
golf cart hatchback
6,196 Posts
from Wikipedia:

The 320si is a special homologation version, built in order to qualify the car for the FIA World Touring Car Championship (WTCC).[15] It was released in 2006 and limited to 2,600 units. The 320si uses a modified 4 cylinder engine (N45) different from the standard 320i (N46). Modifications include an increased redline to 7,300 rpm, a shortened stroke (by 2 mm), an increased bore (by 1 mm) and a higher compression ratio (11.0:1). The engine is mostly hand built and does not have Valvetronic, decreasing the number of moving parts. Acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) takes 8.1 seconds and acceleration in fourth gear from 80 km/h (50 mph) to 120 km/h (75 mph) takes 7.7 seconds compared with a standard 320i which achieves them in 9.0 and 9.1 seconds respectively. Fourth gear acceleration is comparable to that of the 325i which achieves the 80 to 120 km/h (50 to 75 mph) sprint in 7.5 seconds.

The BMW 320si is used by Team RAC and Airwaves BMW in the British Touring Car Championship (BTCC). Colin Turkington won the 2009 BTCC Drivers championship using the BMW 320si.

· Registered
42,970 Posts
Interesting - The S14 in my "homologation version" 88 M3 makes more power (195) resulting in 0-60 times in the 6's vs 8's - lots of progress in 22 years :rolleyes:
This isn't an M-car, just a little special edition with mild mods to the standard four cylinder. Similar to the ZHP package for the E46 330i, it's just a 23hp bump, plus a few mechanical changes to make the engine more race car friendly like reverting valvetronic back to a normal throttle.

If you want an M3, BMW will sell you one with a stonking V8.

The '80s equivalent would be the E30 320is built for the Italian market, which had a destroked S14B20 in a 325is body. It made 190hp DIN but that was without any sort of emissions controls...

· Banned
35,560 Posts
Interesting - The S14 in my "homologation version" 88 M3 makes more power (195) resulting in 0-60 times in the 6's vs 8's - lots of progress in 22 years :rolleyes:

Your car is as fast as a stock GTI.

No need to talk crap.

· Registered
2018 Atlas V6 R-Line; 2019 330ix M-Sport
39,881 Posts
The new 320si is a victim of European taxes and fuel prices, plain and simple. That and it's been homogolated for a lower end race series...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.