VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down our main street today, and my friend pointed out one of these:

with this badge:

(I didn't take this picture, but as far as I know, it might even be the same car, with the CO plates)
What the heck is an L6? Is it just a long wheelbase E24, or is it some kind of special model, like the M6?
Go Car Lounge, go!

Modified by peterjmag at 1:17 PM 11-25-2006

· Registered
6,955 Posts
Re: Tell me about the BMW L6... (peterjmag)

thats a new one on me, but I don't know all that much about BMW's

· Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
18,972 Posts
Re: Tell me about the BMW L6... (peterjmag)

The L is for luxury. There was an L7 (E23) as well.
One of the features on these cars was hand-stitched leather, including the dash and headliner.

Modified by MEIN_VW at 4:41 PM 11-25-2006

· Registered
8,310 Posts
Re: Tell me about the BMW L6... (LilBlkCL)

It's a luxurious 6-series. The 'L' standards for leather & luxury I think.
The dash is skinned in leather, along with other parts of the interior trim.
I'm not sure if the car was actually badged L6 though.

· Get Off My Lawn!!!
25,202 Posts
The L6 was an American market deal of the late eighties, along with the L7. "L" was for luxury. The cars were trimmed with select buffalo-hide leather, and everything was covered with the stuff, including the instrument panel and console. The effect was very elegant, and the aroma was wonderful. My (future) father-in-law owned a new '87 L7 sedan (a 635 sedan done-up as L7) when my wife and I were dating. It was silver, and the interior was a light shade of dove-grey. The seating also seemed to have an "overstuffed" look to it, and the bolsters were softer and more inviting than a "regular" BMW's seats of the time, which were almost hard.
I think that the "L" cars also had extra doodads along with the featured high-line leather upholstery, too, but can't really remember any specific items.

· Registered
80 Scirocco, 87 Scirocco 16v, 86 Quantum Syncro, 91 318is, 84 230CE, 99 Tacoma PreRunner
25,489 Posts
Re: Tell me about the BMW L6... (vwlarry)

I saw an L7 once, and was suprised. I had no idea what it was. I'd seen it listed in the computers at work, but didn't know what it was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.