VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can you say about this car.
One of my friends wants to buy one (on an extremely limited budget of $5000)
Are there any other comparable SUV's or big cars for 5K?
Thank you

·
Banned
13,716 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Ford Explorer (rpaller)

quote:[HR][/HR]You friend could find a decent 94-95 Caprice 9C1 (police package) or a Crown Vic Interceptor. Search E-bay for 9C1 or police car.[HR][/HR]​
That really points him in the right direction

My family has had 3 explorers. 91, 93, and 2000. All Eddie Bauers editions with the latest being the V8 AWD.
Concerning the price range your friend is looking in, he should be able to pick up a nice 92-93 Eddie Bauer. Be on the lookout for 2 door Eddie Bauers. Those are rare, and in my opinion quite handsome.
Out of the 3 Explorers we had one fault with the 93 when the transfer case got stuck in neutral while shifting. Not a big deal, was taken care of by warranty back in the day.
It's no BMW X5, and the older pre-SLA front suspension trucks can feel a bit sloppy in the steering department with some age, but generally these are well built trucks. The cologne 4.0 v6 never had a problem towing small boats, and the V8 is adequate for trailering a 911 to track events.
Good sound systems, comfortable seats, good amount of room, handsome, reliable, and parts are cheap and readily available.
Would you really rather drive a Caprice???!?! Even with the cop package...3

Just noticed you go to SUNY Albany. I'm sorry

I live on Myrtle Ave. Actually met my roommate when he was selling his Rado on here last year. I have another class in an hour

[Modified by JrodVW, 9:27 AM 9-30-2002]

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Ford Explorer (rpaller)

i beleive i have driven every generation/evolution of the explorer, and have never really liked driving any of them. The dash is kinda bland, and after driving a 96 explorer for 3 months, i still couldnt find a comfortable seating position with the power seats. the V6 power is ok, but on the highway it seems to really drop off after 70 or so. At highway speeds of around 55-65 i always felt that the auto trans was hunting for the right gear, let off the gas it would shift, get on the gas it would shift.
Quality-wise, we have had major brake and suspension problems on out 96 (currently around 150,000 miles). I cant count how many warped break rotors we have had (whose fault i dont know). Also ford had a silent recall on the suspension swaybars for explorers in colder climates. It seems that some piece of plastic could get brittle and break in cold climates. This made the car incredibly unsafe to drive, it felt like it would tip, and was constantly rocking back and forth. If i hadnt found out about this recall, my family and about 4 others in the neighborhood were going to get rid of their explorer because of it.

Overall, if your friend wants an explorer, let him get one. If you live in the north, make sure that that recall as done, or that that car never had the problem in the first place. I cant really think of another SUV in that price range that i would like, unless it was a bronco maybe? or an oldersuburban.
If it were me....... i would get a volvo 245..... and thats what i did.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Ford Explorer (JrodVW)

quote:[HR][/HR]You friend could find a decent 94-95 Caprice 9C1 (police package) or a Crown Vic Interceptor. Search E-bay for 9C1 or police car.
That really points him in the right direction

[HR][/HR]​
If you read beyond Ford Explorer you would have seen the comment: "...or other big cars for around 5K"
The 9C1 Caprice with an LT1 is quite the machine. It can haul 5 adults comfortably. If you don't like the drab interior it can be swapped out with Grand Prix or Bonneville seats (read: leather instead of cloth/vinyl). Parts are easy to come by.
Large enthusiast following: http://www.impalassforum.com/cgi-bin/Ultimatebb.cgi?action=intro
I failed to mention that I did consider a 2000 Ford Explorer but was not overly pleased with the vehicle. If they didn't get the formula right by 2000 then it is certainly not right in the early 90's. I won't mention Ford's reliabilty.
If you are looking for a truck/SUV consider a Toyota P/U or 4Runner. Those things are damn near bullet proof.

·
Registered
18,665 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Ford Explorer (GT Eye)

I've owned two Explorer variants.
A 1992 Mazda Navajo (a re-badged 2 dr explorer sport)
A 1998 Mercury Mountaineer
If it runs and can pass inspection, an Explorer is worth $1,000 per wheel. A $5,000 Explorer is likely to be at least 6 or 7 years old and have a lot of miles on it. I got $5,000 in trade for my Navajo back in 1998 when it was 6 years old and had 140,000 miles on it. If you're capable of doing the repairs yourself, the operating costs won't be too horrible. The brittle parts are front rotors and front electronic 4wd hubs. The engine and drive train should be pretty solid other than U-joints. Of the non-essential accessories, the rear wiper and power door locks have the worst repair history. If you're going to pay a mechanic to repair the car, you don't want to own one at that price point.

·
Registered
26,702 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Ford Explorer (GeoffD)

A friend of mine has a 92' Explorer XT. He has had it since 94' or so. He has gone through alot of front end brake work, but then its a heavy truck and there are alot of hills around here. He had to recently replace the catalytic converter for emissions testing, from Ford it would of been about $1,000 CDN, but got an aftermarket unit for half that. I guess for the most part its been reliable for him.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Ford Explorer (VWVancouver)

I had a 92 that was leased new and it was a pretty awful vehicle for me...lot's of problems and breakdowns. Also was a hog...13-15 mpg most fo the time. I prefer jeeps. For me they have been more reliable.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Tell me about the Ford Explorer (1983GTI)

THanks for the tips guys!
I'm still not sure about the reliability of these cars; i guess it's hit or miss- but the parts are cheap and available, huh?
My friend wants to drive out West (to Utah of all places)...so i guess it's gotta make it through the trip...
I'm guessing the 13-15 mpg is pretty normal for an SUV...
So are the Mazdas and Toyotas just as cheap?
Thanks

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,175 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Ford Explorer (GT Eye)

Any particular reason for a SUV or a big car? The first thing that comes to mind here is, as mentioned above, a well-cared for mid-80s or early-90s Volvo 240 or 740. If you shop around for parts (or mail-order them), the running costs are reasonable.
But - for something with dirt cheap parts and that any mechanic can work on, a newer-bodystyle Crown Vic (probably around 92-95) would be right up your alley. Optioned correctly, they really aren't bad cars to drive at all.
Tom

·
Registered
367 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Ford Explorer (1983GTI)

My other vehicle is a '93 Eddie Bauer 4d, 4x4.
Overall, it's been a great vehicle. Mine has been absolutely bulletproof; I just keep it regularly maintained and it runs like a champ.
Common Rough Spots:
Transmission: The A4LD 4-speed Auto is pretty weak (It's mated to the 4.0 OHV V6). Some owners have to rebuild at 60,000 mi, others never. I think the average age among the rebuilts is close to 125,000-150,000 mi.
SOHC Engine: The Camshaft Chain Tensioner was recalled on the '97 4.0 SOHC V6. If you buy a '97, make sure that was done.
Brakes: Common complaint for Fords is that the brakes suck, doesn't affect me. Mine stops on a dime.
Links:
Serious Explorations
Explorer4x4.comhttp://www.explorer4x4.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.