VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and maybe why it would be better then a 1999 Golf
While I was looking for a car, I came across a decent 1999 Golf, 2D, 2.0, only problem is it has a crack in the windshield, making it a replacement job for me..
Also at another dealer has a wonderful 1999 Passat, black, however it has a tan interior (cloth) which doesn’t appeal to me. I haven’t taken it out yet, but I will tomorrow. I don’t know much about Passats, past they are a best buy, and share the same chassis as an Audi A4. How much alike to an A4 are they, could one simply replace the grill and decals and have a decent clone?
Here are the stats on the two cars
1999 Passat GLS
1.8T
5spd Auto-sport shift
Black, tan cloth
Five spoke VW rims
$10-11k (dealer was unsure when I called today)
and around 50k miles

1999 Golf 2dr
4spd auto
black, black
hub caps (will need changing...IMO)
No CD (will need MP3-CD player)
chipped windshield, needs replaces IMO
50k miles, one owner
$7,300

·
Banned
9,572 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Passat 1999 (Corbic)

If you can afford 2000$ of repairs annually, go for the Passat.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Passat 1999 (Saintor)

After 5 1/2 years of owning a "99 Passat, I might have spent a little over $2,000 during that entire period for basic maintenance (e.g. brake rotors and timing belt replacement). It has nearly 90,000 miles and it is still a joy to drive.
I would certainly favor getting the Passat over the Golf, especially after doing some bargaining on the price.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Saintor »

Our 2000 Passat has cost us less than $500 total in the 15 months we've owned it. It's been in for 3 oil changes and the 40,000mi service, and that's it.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I had a '98 golf 2.0 and now have a '00 passat 1.8T... there is no competition here, Passat all the way. That Golf probably has "human Powered" windows too!
ouch!

·
Banned
9,572 Posts
Re: Tell me about the Passat 1999 (jddaigle)

Quote »
Our 2000 Passat has cost us less than $500 total in the 15 months we've owned it.

Just... wait.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

I think you can get a better price on a 99 Passat. The 2000's are a better choice,no ICM failures,no coilpack failures and a double din
dash,for indash cd.
PZ.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts

Just... wait.

Oh, I think we'll be just fine, thank you!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

Are you implying that the Golf will be totally repair-free?? Or that the Passat will eat a turbo or a tranny annually?? I think not.
The Passat will be a more satisfying car overall.

·
Registered
748 Posts

Why? Everyone here except Saintor was hot on the Passat. Saintor likes the car, I think, but has spent serious $$ on repairs (?)
What was it that made you get the Golf?

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Tell me about the Passat 1999 (psychwarlord)

Golf was 7k instead of 11, meaning 4 grand less...
Golf had a perfect condition black interior, Passat had a rather worn tan (yuck) and dispite having a 1.8t, the Passat didnt feel very peppy, felt like driving my fathers Taurus, also with the fact that the front end seemed to shimmer a bit.. it also had 3 owners.
All and all, even though the Golf has a POS 2.0l, I'm familiar with the eninge, and it has never given me any problems, I actualy read that its on of the most relible in the world, just nothing else on a VW is
. Not to mention 20v Turbo kinda makes me nervous in the repair department.
I can seen eventaly owning a V6 Passat, but thats more toward when I get married, till then, to live the life of a college man.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts

i've seen many Passats, outfitted almost exactly as you've listed, for less than $10,000. i even test drove one for someone at CB5. it was perfectly fine. that one was going for $8200 i think.
can't see much reason to buy the golf over the Passat, but you purchased already so its a moot point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts