VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
87,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did they really name the beer after this car?

·
Registered
87,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Time for me to dip in!

The Corona nameplate was used in Japan from 1957 to 2001. The T40/T50 series of 1964-70 was a historic car in that it was the first Japanese car to be successfully marketed abroad.

The one in the pic is the T100, which ran from 1973 to 1978 in Japan and was topped off by the 18R-G 2.0 twin-cam motor in the GT sedan and coupe. The T130 which followed (1978-82) had much the same with even more luxury goodies et al. The last of the RWD ones was the T140 of 1982, which had independent rear suspension (same as the third generation Celica/Carina) and a 1.8 turbo. Basically these generations of RWD Coronas shared much in common with the Celica and Carina, drivetrain, etc. The original Celica Camry shared much with the T130 Corona and 2nd gen Celica/Carina, but with IRS in upscale models.

The FWD Coronas ran from 1983 to 2001. Once more they did share much with the FWD Celica and Carina, including the 3S-GE in the GT. In Japan they sat between the Corolla and Camry in the lineup.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
An RT100 series GT:

An RT140 series GT, last of the RWD Coronas:

In the T130 series, there was a sedan, 5-door hatchback and 2-door hardtop. The premium engine options were the 3T-EU (1.8 EFI), 21R-U (2.0 OHC) and 18R-GEU (2.0 DOHC), all of which came with an anti-roll bar- although this simply couldn't compete with the Nissan Bluebird 910 and its independent rear suspension, and Toyota would only address that with the Celica Camry. The CX Saloon was the luxury trim level, the SX with the 1.8 EFI and GT with the 2.0 DOHC were the sports models.

The T140 series saw engine changes early in its life. The old R series was replaced, by the 4A-GE and the 3T-GTEU motors. There was the EX Saloon, GT and GT-T.

The FWD Coronas followed the pattern of other FWD Toyotas, sharing design language with the Corolla. The Corona was replaced by the Premio in 2001. With the introduction of the new Vista in 1997, Toyota had committed itself to renewing all its FWD cars, whose platforms at the time still dated back some way.

·
Registered
41,826 Posts
The Corona was really the car that made Toyota, and it follows in the way so much of the Toyota linup sprang from it.

If I didn't have a real job I'd love to draw out a family tree, but basically, the Corona begat:

- Carina, which led to the Celica and Camry, which led to the Rav4, Caldina, Allion, Windom, Vista, Lexus ES, Lexus RX, minivans, SUVs, pretty much any transverse-engine Toyota bigger than a Corolla. The Celica also led to the Supra which led to the Soarer/Lexus SC.
- Mark II, which led to the Chaser, Cresta, Cressida, and eventually to the Altezza/Lexus IS, Progres, Brevis, Mark X, Aristo/Lexus GS, pretty much any RWD Toyota smaller than the Crown or Celsior/LS but bigger than a Corolla.
- The Corona itself had tons of bodystyles at the height of its popularity, including a car/truck.

·
Registered
87,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FWIW- my paternal grandparents had a tan Corona station wagon they bought new (I guess T100 based on the looks).
I remember riding in the tiny backseat as a kid - I had to turn my legs/body and take up the entire rear seat to even fit. It was slow, loud, and they refused to run the a/c (windows down = loud). I know where I get my cheapassness from. :p
But that wagon also lasted a long time. It was slow, ulgy, but damn reliable and durable.
I think they finally got rid of it when the rust got bad (mid 80s).

:beer:

·
Registered
41,826 Posts
You could make an argument for the Crown too, since it's been an unbroken line since 1955.
True, but the Crown was less important to Toyota's export fortunes, particularly in the US where it never made a compelling case against similarly-sized American cars like the Chevy II, Falcon, and Valiant. The Crown is the once and forever flagship of Toyota, but the Corona was the car that directly made Toyota #1 in Japan, and indirectly led to the Camry which made them #1 in the world. Though the Corolla certainly helped (and is actually Toyota's best-selling individual model of all time, despite the Corona and Crown getting about 10 years head start).

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
My girlfriend in high school had a white one just like the first one posted! we called it the "Cerveza" :laugh:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.