VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all... I have some money saved up to buy a rwd car... I've been debating whether or not to get an E30, or hold out and try and find a nice 944... however, at this point I think that getting the E30 would be more practical...
I need something that'll last me 10 or so years, that I can drive 5 people around comfortably in, and take guitars and amps around... I think an E30 325i would do the trick. I've done a fair amount of reading about them... but I want some unbiased opinions.
could I do most of the maintenance on one of these? How reliable are they? Obviously this will depend on the car, but say I find a nice 325i with 100k miles on it that has been well maintained for $3000... could I expect this car to last me to 250k w/o any major problems?
also... does anyone have a link to a review of the E30's? I would like to know curb weights, slalom speed, skidpad.. all that stuff...
and between the 325i and the 325is... I know the IS has LSD and nice wheels... but the sedan is pretty peppy too, right? what would you get?
thanks... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
7,292 Posts
Re: tell me everything you know about the E30 325... (coldweatherblue)

Ok, first thing:
You will not be able to fit five adult passengers comfortably in a E30 for very long. Hell, there is only seatbelts for two people back there.
If you ask me, the E34 5 series (1988.5-1995) sounds better suited for your needs. It'll seat 5 adults and it has a huge trunk.

It does have a big trunk though...bigger than what you'd expect given the car's overall size...probably 15cu.ft or so.
These are great cars. They are very reliable but not maintenence free. Very rewarding to drive IMHO.
Watch out for leaking rear diffs. Worn guibo. Dead HVAC lights. Blocked sunroof drains. RUST! RUST! RUST! Look for rust under the carpeting, especially in the trunk and around the wheel wells. Make sure a swimming pool doesn't form in the trunk from clogged sunroof drains. Tranny mounts. Engine mounts, shifter linkage bushings
Performance wise, it's like a VR6 with 20 less ft.lbs of torque. The M20 engine is relatively peaky for a I6, but still fun to drive. Stock is 168hp/160ft.lbs. Bolt ons + chip will net you 190hp-200 @ crank or so.
quote:[HR][/HR]I find a nice 325i with 100k miles on it that has been well maintained for $3000... could I expect this car to last me to 250k w/o any major problems?[HR][/HR]​
My guess is that a well maintained 325i is going to run closer to $5k. To hit 250k you'd probably need to change the valve guide seals, all the vaccum lines, maybe the brake or clutch cylinders, guibo, power steering, engine mounts, tranny mounts, exhaust hangers, clutch, ball joints, and valvecover gasket atleast once somewhere between 100k and 250k.... This is in addition to the basic maintenence (inspection I, II, timing belt changes, wear & tear items).
http://www.motoyen.com/articles/articles.html

The red car in these pics is a non-stock E30 M3...but the interior shots give you a general idea of what any E30 is sized like.

[Modified by TabulaRasa, 6:26 AM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
Re: tell me everything you know about the E30 325... (TabulaRasa)

I'm going to say go for the e34 5 Series too, although 5k will get you a super-beater. If you want another 100K out of a 100K car I'd spring for a 325es.
The e34 is very floggable if that's what you're into

[Modified by VW-BMW, 1:46 PM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Re: tell me everything you know about the E30 325... (TurboC)

I had an '86 325 and loved it. I actually wrapped it around a guardrail at 50 and lived to tell. Afterword bought new fenders, bumper, lights, 2 doors and a hood and rebuilt it. Actually drove it for a year without a radiator fan, which did well until I'd get stuck in traffic. I then traded it in on my 97 Jetta GLX and regretted it, wish I would have found another 325 or a convertible version.
Look at the 4 door version if you want passenger room. At the 325is if you want a sporty 2-door. At the 325ic if you want a convertible and at the 325ix if you want all wheel drive.
They are very nice cars and easy to work on. Parts might be a little expensive but worth it. Before my wreck, I changed the alternator by myself..that was the first time doing something like that - which is why I decided to rebuild the car after the accident.
Plus they've got that 80's yuppie/classy charm to them. The 944 isn't bad either...heck get both!!!

[Modified by ShortBus, 9:45 AM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
6,481 Posts
Re: tell me everything you know about the E30 325... (ShortBus)

Actually the 325i and 325e 2 doors WILL carry around 5 people. Its the E30 M3 (shown above), and Cabrio which only have spots for two people in the back seat.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Re: tell me everything you know about the E30 325... (ShortBus)

The obligatory pic whorre post.
Here's my E30 325is.

[Modified by rossi46, 11:46 AM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: tell me everything you know about the E30 325... (TabulaRasa)

TabulaRasa: thanks... thats exactly what I was looking for. I know there will be some maintenence.. I just don't want to have a high chance of having to rebuild the engine at 150k or something. These cars are the epitome of the German sedan, imo... I heard a 325i being redlined at my work today and it sounded sooo good. The i-6 is a wonderful engine.
thanks everyone.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
26,702 Posts

E30 I-6 with no rev limiter=wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

I test drove one (325I) when I was looking for a car
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
781 Posts
Re: tell me everything you know about the E30 325... (VWVancouver)

What's the deal on these cars? I love that 325 I posted above, what a beauty.. But it's a far cry from the E30 325s I usually see. What are the different trim levels for the E30 325s?? What ones are equipped with the body trim like the one above? What are the engine options, power outputs, and curb weights of the E30 325s? This may be a pathetic question but how do the 325s compare to the E30 M3? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Re: tell me everything you know about the E30 325... (Rook)

quote:[HR][/HR]Actually the 325i and 325e 2 doors WILL carry around 5 people. Its the E30 M3 (shown above), and Cabrio which only have spots for two people in the back seat.[HR][/HR]​
Took the words right out of my mouth. We used to carry 5 people in our old E30 all the time. My friend has one with a 2.7L engine swaped in. Very nice car, probably going to be the next car I buy too.

·
Registered
26,702 Posts
There is also the IX, which was made from 88-91. AWD available in 2 and 4 door versions (4 door only for Canada). Same I6 engine. Splines on front drive shafts are known to wear out. These are actually easier to find than lets say an Audi 80 or 90 quattro, at least in my area

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
Re: tell me everything you know about the E30 325... (powderhound)

quote:[HR][/HR]I love that 325 I posted above, what a beauty.. But it's a far cry from the E30 325s I usually see. What are the different trim levels for the E30 325s?? What ones are equipped with the body trim like the one above? [HR][/HR]​
Thanks! You should know, however, that mine is not stock...at all.

Different trim levels are 325i sedan, 325i coupe, 325i cabrio, 325iS coupe, and the 318iS. The '87+ 325's have the M20 2.5-inline six motor. I think the power ratings were already posted. '88 and up models have the plastic bumpers which look better than the previous metal diving boards. The '88 and '89 have a non-airbag steering wheel compared to '90 and '91, IMO again looks better.
If you can, find an "is" model (like mine) which has some cool things like sunroof, rear and front lip spoiler, sport suspension, BBS wheels, M3 steering wheel and sport seats (RECARO-style).
Weight is usually around 2800lbs. Stock vs stock the M3 will whip up on a 325. My modified hangs with M3s all day, though.

·
Registered
7,873 Posts

You can also pick up very decent examples of the 735i (90+) for less than 8 grand. If you do the E34, you should get the 525i. It's a newer engine (DOHC) and it actually gets up and out of the way pretty well.
Did anyone mention the Saab Aero for your hauling needs? Any car designed for Moose impact protection is just fine in my book. Plus, they get up and haul.

·
Registered
19,819 Posts

i think you should go for an E30 325iX. AWD 5-Speed Coupe. 184HP is what they had stock i believe, a nice cat back system and a chip will bring that to 200+HP. from what i've heard E30 and E34 I-6's respond great to chips. here is one for you to look at on ebay with a reserve of $4,700.00.
http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1849247927&r=0&t=0

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: tell me everything you know about the E30 325... (a2a4raddo)

thats a great looking 325iX... the thing is though, drivetrain loss and decreased reliability doesn't make up for the advantages of awd when you live in southern tennessee. seriously, it snows once a year here, and even then the roads are usually clear. There is a good rally course 20 min from here though... hmm... bmw rally... I definately would consider a 325iX if I found a good deal though.
check this one out:
[http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ebaymotors...MG]http://www.vwvortex.com/vwbb/sly.gif[/IMG]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.